[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What languages does /lit/ speak/read ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 14

File: 1408934460539.png (302KB, 1360x902px) Image search: [Google]
1408934460539.png
302KB, 1360x902px
What languages does /lit/ speak/read ?
>>
>>8477389
>according to /int/
>>
> English
> Stars and stripes
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>8477389
>no ancient greek, latin, or hebrew
>>
>>8477389
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING ATTRIBUTING FUCKING >ENGLISH
TO AMERICA WHICH IS FUCKING AMERICA NOT ENGLAND YOU FUCKING MORON DONT POST SHIT
>>
>>8477389
>german
>beautiful
also
>russian
>overlooked in the west
>>
>>8477402
its because the only worthwhile english language literature since Milton has come from America
>>
>>8477389
That list is garbage
>>
>>8477398
Hebrew is already there, Ancient Greek and Latin belong in the 'i fell for the /lit/ meme' tier
>>
>>8477410
you having a fucking laugh son? What fucking world are you living in given that the best POETS the world has ever had lived during the 1800-1900s who wrote in ENGLISH FROM ENGLAND
and the best fucking AUTHORS CAME FROM ENGLAND TOO

you are an illiterate if you think otherwise
>>
>>8477410
> Americans
Believing their own hype since 1776.

>>8477412
Latin and Greek have more literary merit than all of those, lesser languages combined.
>>
>>8477429
>poetry
is inherently shit
>english """"authors"""""
dickens is shit. the brontes are shit. austen is shit. i havent read woolf yet so maybe she's not shit. but england is generally a pretty culturally dead place.
>>
>>8477397
You mad, limey?

Also, how is knowing German a pussy magnet?
>>
>>8477440
you referenced fucking milton you moron so what sort of fucking pseud are you

and dickens? SHIT? wtf are you on some sort of fucking hard edge mode how cant you empathise/sympathise with chars like david copperfield you faggot
plus clockwork orange etc nice books. no long lasting authors perhaps, or not many, but books yes
>>
>>8477448
Not really.

Keep speaking that English from England though.
>>
>>8477458
Paradise lost is worthwhile not because its a poem but because its a work of literature
I couldn't care less that some romantic poet wants to compare some melting snow to love or some shit
and dickens is an absolute bore to read
>>
>>8477466
you got dubs but that doesnt mean shit faggot how is dickens boring have you read copperfield y/n
>>
>>8477470
no ive only read tale of two cities and its the only book i've literally fallen asleep reading it was so boring
its as dry as british """""""culture"""""""
i dont want to try anything else of his
>>
english natively
learning french and mandarin, currently know more mandarin than french
remember some latin from high school but not much
>>
>>8477475
typical diabetic reply did your fucking syringe write that post
my culture isnt dry its called not bowing to being a cunt and pretending to ram my head up my ass to virtue singal

listen you do want to try david copperfield you cant just judge dickens on that book absurdity
>>
>>8477478
Why are you learning Mandarin?
>>
>>8477389
I know Spanish and English, am learning German and can understand most written Italian, French, Portuguese and Catalan
>>
>>8477484
>my culture isn't dry
ive been to london once, and I hardly had enough to do to fill a three day vacation. I ate at one british restaurant and went to french or german places elsewhere.
Brits are boring, their culture is boring, their history is boring, their authors are mostly boring, and their food is bland
>>
>>8477389
>pinoy
>comparable to shlomo
ayy
>>
>>8477498
> London
> for 3 days
So you went to the wrong city, and for too brief a time.

Well done you.
>>
>>8477502
literally what else is there to do in england
have crumpets with the queen?
>>
>>8477389
>French
>German
>beautiful
Good one.
I speak some Spanish, not fluently, but I can understand most of what I read/hear.
>>
File: 1469269561592.png (541KB, 483x3700px) Image search: [Google]
1469269561592.png
541KB, 483x3700px
>>8477389
This chart is better.
>>
>>8477498
>Boring history
I suppose it must be boring when we keep winning everything
>Boring authors
A. Conan Doyle, Mary Shelley, Dickens, Bronte sisters, Shakepeare, Orwell, Tolkein, Austen, Hardy, C.S Lewis, Lewis Carrol, D.H Lawrence, Joseph Conrad even J.K Rowling nigger.
>>
>>8477498
>Culture is boring
Nigger you went to LONDON. The city that prides itself on 'multiculturalism' and whose mayor is a Muslim Feminist midget, and where Brits are in the minority.
What British culture were you expecting to encounter?
>>
>>8477532
>keep winning
like how you won against the norman invaders, or in the hundred years' war, or against the dutch in 1688, or the american revolution, or against the first seven french coalitions, or the war of 1812, or during the suez crisis?
>doyle, dickens, brontes, austen, C.S. lewis, Carrol, rowling
genre shit
>orwell
shitty political writing but fairly influential in rhetoric
>shakespeare
one of the few good ones
>shelley
pretty good but not astounding
>conrad
is polish
>>8477539
were else is there to go? britain is ultimately a boring as hell country
>>
English (E-Prime, Old, Middle, Early Modern), Latin (Classical, Vulgar, Medieval, Contemporary), and German. A bit of knowledge in Ancient Greek, Japanese (Kana), and Lojban.
>>
File: 1472992837980.jpg (37KB, 466x349px) Image search: [Google]
1472992837980.jpg
37KB, 466x349px
>>8477500
i think its making a meme at the whole "filipinos are the most powerful race in the world" things, just as the whole "jews control everything" conspiracy, ya know?
>>
>>8477389
Reminder that non-german speakers will never ever understand philosophy
>>
>>8477389

>Fluent tier

Galician
Spanish
English
German

>Above average tier

Portuguese

>Basic tier

Italian

>Could understand it if I read it tier

French
>>
>>8477389
English native speaker, learned Spanish.
>>
>>8477627
Are you a native Galician speaker? I can't think of any other reason to know it
>>
>>8477638
I'm brazilian and wanna learn it for no reason other than it sounds nicer than Portugal's portuguese.
>>
>>8477638
Yeah that is basically the only reason one would be able to speak galician desu. I don't even use it but it was mandatory in school and all the lessons except spanish language and literature were taught in galician. Its quite useless but thanks to it I can also speak relatively good portuguese and understand everything when I read or they speak to me.

Galician literature is also quite interesting and one of the oldest in the peninsula, so there is also that.
>>
>>8477654
Is it even a separate language from spanish or Portuguese? Does it take much to learn it?
>>
>>8477627
Are you truly fluent in all of those?

I can speak English and I'm probably above average in German--I want to move onto French soon, though I don't know how people could be actually fluent in more than three languages. How did you do it?
>>
>>8477665
They all stem from vulgar latin as you may know. Galician and Portuguese the same language in tis inception, this protolanguage was called "galego-portugues" by linguists. The first medieval songs and poems in the peninsula were actually written in this language and even the castillian King Alfonso X "the wise" was said to have learned the language in order to write in the same manner as the Galician bards (if you want to learn more look for "Martin Codax"), after Castille sort of "invaded/assimilated" Galicia they eliminated all the previous galician noblemen and replaced them with noblemen loyal to Castille. Here is were Portuguese and Galician take different paths. In the following centuries Galician became a language regarded as one only spoken by peasants and uneducated folk.

Nowadays Galician is a fucking clusterfuck of a language because in every fucking region they have a completely different grammar. Where I come from for example it sounds almost like Portuguese because we share a border but up north its a mixture of Galician and Bable (the dialect of Asturias) but there is an "official" gramatic which everyone regards as fucking fake and just made for political reasons.
>>
>>8477686
Spanish and Galician are really similar mate, there is no real secret to it. As for the rest, my parents sent me when I was young to an english boarding school for two years and I learnt it pretty quickly. It also helps that I practice it a lot only and that it is relatively simple. German I started to learn recently, I moved to Düsseldorf three years ago and now I'm studying my masters in Berlin, I just got my C1 certificate last month. Maybe I'm not 100% fluent in German as I am in English or Spanish but I definitely have no problem expressing whatever I want with fluency on almost any topic. That being said I think I have a special talent for languages, probably my only talent...
>>
>>8477702
Is it hard to learn Spanish starting from Galician
>>
>>8477686
Timothy Doner, fluent and rapid in 6 languages and conversational in another 15.

how do you do it?

>is in america
English

>is jewish of german background
Hebrew
German
Yiddish

>parents taught him french since birth
French

>ivy league prep school requires languages
arabic
chinese
russian

>hurr durr im so smart I learn by meself
Pashto
Farsi
Swahili
Turkish
Italian
Ojibwe
Hausa
Dutch
>lives in NY, so every race on earth is there
lit. every other mf language
>>
>>8477727
Not at all. But people usually do the opposite, cause its pretty much an imposed language from the provincial government. I only met a couple of people who regularly spoke Galician. There is also the fact that I am from a metropolitan area and in this sort of places Galician is not widely spoken, it is relegated more to the rural areas.
>>
>>8477389
I speak American; not that english nancy horseshit.
Próbálok magyarul tanulni.
>>
For everyone getting butthurt about the American flag for English, consider this, there are more English speakers in America than the rest of the world combined. It makes sense to have the US flag as it represents the majority
>>
best english poet is Pound btw

second best is Eliot who, GUESS WHAT, was American
>>
>>8477768
get madder cultcunt
>>
>>8477389
This is stupid
>>
>>8477389
>English
>US flag

Thanks for the laugh m8
>>
>>8477389
No where in the world does speaking German get you pussy.
>>
>>8477389
English shouldn't be an American flag because most countries worth living in have civilised English (colour, mum)

>Farsi
If this chart wasn't made a Persian then it was made by a retard, but I suppose that's established anyway

Chinese definitely triumphs Japanese especially considering all Japanese lit up until this century has been heavily sinicised. Also Dutch is much more relevant than Portuguese

Everything on the right is stupid and unfunny kys
>>
>>8477627
>implying Spanish and Galician aren't the same language
>>
>>8477722
What's it like studying in Germany? Are you native English?

I quite like the idea of doing something such as that, though I have a long way to go
>>
>>8477893
>Also Dutch is much more relevant than Portuguese

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>8477406
Filtered
>>
>>8477975
Same, I really wish I could filter the troll at >>8477893
>>
File: Smug Pepe American.jpg (72KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Pepe American.jpg
72KB, 499x499px
>>8477893
>Still using the word rules of your French masters
lol
>>
>>8477389
How the fuck is Italian more relevant than Russian?
>>
>>8477478
>mandarin
Oh boy, you've been meme'd hard, son.
>>
>>8477514
>Croatian
>Bosnian
>Serbian

I want this meme to S T O P
>>
>>8477490
>>8478547

you're both idiots
>>
>>8477389
>Russian
>works that are often overlooked in western canon
>>
I can read English and Norwegian. Can anyone recommend me a good book to read in Norwegian?
>>
>>8477389
>my language is not there
>>
File: teru_hasegawa.jpg (18KB, 225x354px) Image search: [Google]
teru_hasegawa.jpg
18KB, 225x354px
>>8477389

Esperanto for ultrahipsterdom.

http://literaturo.org/HARLOW-Don/Esperanto/EBook/chap09.html
>>
>>8477926
they aren't lmao
>>
>>8477448
German get's you laid all over eastern europe.
>>
File: Flag_of_Esperanto.svg.png (5KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Esperanto.svg.png
5KB, 600x400px
Esperanto speaker for about a year. Add it to
illuminati tier, George Soros is a native speaker.
>>
>>8478744
daily reminder that conlangs are retarded
>>
>>8477389
Afrikaans
English
>>
>>8478766
get out of there man
>>
English, afrikaans and learning to read German.
>>
>>8478766
Hallo South Africa. :) Where are you situated?
>>
>>8478767
South Africa isn't nearly as bad as all the expats and /pol/tards make it out to be.

Far from perfect, but also far from the shithole.

>>8478773
Cape Town
>>
>>8478777
Ek bly ook in Kaapstad. Watse area? Durbanville hier.
>>
>>8478779
Brackenfell, ons is basies buurmanne!
>>
>in love with a girl that loves Scandinavia/Iceland, Norse stuff etc
>we were going to learn Icelandic together but then she started hating me
>spoke some Icelandic to her a few months later; she still hates me but I managed to get a smile out of her

So despite it being a useless language, I need to learn Icelandic in order to somehow win back her heart. God help me.
>>
>>8478796
>chasing after a woman
>>
>>8478781
>>8478781
Haha, klein wéreld. Ouderdom? Ek het nog nooit iemand anders ontmoet wat op /lit/ gaan nie.
>>
>>8478796
Disgusting
>>
>>8478577
I'm Portuguese, and still more relevant. Don't be mad.
>>
>>8478804
30, jy?

Ek is baie nuut tot /lit/, die plek laat my soos 'n dom poephol voel weens die klein aantal boeke wat ek al gelees het, so ek begin nou die gewoonte aankweek om meer te lees.

Ek is wel baie nuuskierig oor Afrikaanse literatuur, het jy enige aanbevele?
>>
>>8478834
25, ek is al 'n redelike ruk hier. Krige in 'n bos, Raka, Ingrid Jonker, Bagis? Wat het jy al gelees wat hier redelik genoem word? Hierdie is die enigeste plek wat ek op 4chan na kom.
>>
>>8478577
Is this bait or are you that delusional? It's way easier to speak Arabic in your country than Dutch and you're telling your language is more relevant? it's not even relevant in your own country!
>>
>>8477389

German, English, Latin, conversational Italian, enough to understand the basic meaning of French and Spanish texts
>>
>>8478847
>canker /int/ thread
>canker /int/ memes
it fits
>>
Serbian, German, English, some Latin and can understand either written slavic languages.
>>
>>8477926
Underage pleb detected. Read my previous posts >>8477702
>>8477722
>>8477744

>>8477930
If by native you mean if I can speak like a native then yeah, pretty much. I have the CPE from Cambridge and that helps a lot finding good Universities here in Germany cause they only ask for a B1-B2. If you area an EU citizen I would tell you that if you don't study abroad you are really missing out. Its very simple and despite what /pol/tards or memesters say, the EU is fucking awesome for students. I can go fucking anywhere without any sort of problem and my degree is recognized in the whole continent. If you are not en EU citizen I would tell you to try anyway, its a great experience.
>>
>>8478854
I don't go to that kankermongol board, but I did visit Amsterdam 2 months ago. Rationalize it however you want it, but the truth is that language that is spoken by 10 million fragile nu-males is already being irrelevant in your country. Yet, you claim my language which is spoken by 200 million people is of lesser importance than yours. Anyway, stay nu-male
>>
I was taught French but I forgot it all
>>
>>8478744
I spent this past summer traveling around China with some friends and this one memory will always stick with me: we were walking down some alley in Shanghai past an expat bar and I heard a guy trying to convince a drunk girl that they had so much in common because he could speak Esperanto and she had heard of it. It was actually hilarious to hear. Good times.
>>
Catalonian, Spanish, English.
>>
>>8478796
In a few years you'll still be single and fluent in Icelandic for no fucking reason.
>>
>>8478796
Pathetic. Grow up and grow out.
>>
>>8477514
Rongorongo isn't a language, it's a writing system. The language would be Rapa Nui.
>>
>>8478891
Grow out?
>>
>>8478929
Out of her.
>>
>>8478845
As dit kom by redelik genoem dan is dit net die volgende:
"The Hobbit"; "The Silmarillion" - Tolkien

Miskien dalk ook die, is nie seker of dit tel as algemeen nie:
"The Stand"; "The Dark Tower I & II" - Stephen King

Ander boeke wat ek al hier gesien genoem word een or twee keer wat ek al gelees het is:
"Shogun" - James Clavell
"The Demon Haunted World" - Carl Sagan
"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - Robert M. Pirsig
"Man's Search of Meaning" - Viktor E. Frankl
"Fooled by Randomness" - Nassim Taleb
Ook 'n paar Terry Pratchett boeke.

Soos jy kan sien is dit nie baie nie.

Ek was al van 2014 af op 4chan, maar het eers so 3 weke terug /lit/ begin bywoon. Ander borde wat ek nog partykeep na gaan is /g/ en /out/, maar ek is meestal nou op /lit/.
>>
>>8478883
Well fine, would it be better to learn Danish then?
>>
I'm german, but understand and speak english breddy well.

Ulysses arrived yesterday, in english.
I think I dun goofed
>>
>>8478934
Goeie antwoord! Ek het ook Sagan se boek gelees, dit was goed! En 'n paar Prachetts - hulle is pret maar nie besonders insiggewens nie. Hoe was die laaste drie boeke wat jy gelees het? Ek stel belang.
>>
>>8478941
How useful would you say learnin German is?
>>
>>8478946
>>8478934
Get a room faggots
>>
>>8478948
Get a hole sandnigger
>>
>>8477824
Also Frost.
>>
so /int/ is just another /pol/?
>>
>>8478952
suce on my circumcised dick, negro
>>
>>8478970
>mine isn't; people don't circumsize for health reasons
>>
>>8477893
> Also Dutch is much more relevant than Portuguese
In what regard? Because when it comes to literature portuguese is in another level when compared to dutch
>>
>>8478947
Depends where you live and what your profession is. If you live in Europe and work in any sort of scientific or engineering branch is really, really useful.
>>
>>8478969
pretty much yeah
>>
I'm Moroccan ,I speak my native dialect ,Arabic because I have been to school in Morocco, French, because I live in France now, English because I learned it at the university. Moroccan Arabic too, which we could consider as slang
>>
>>8478973
>lrnwhen2greentxt
Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>8478983
>In what regard?

In no regard, that guy is a troll, a retard, or both. Dutch is shit tier, can anyone even name a decent dutch author? Their language is like nails on chalkboard. Besides that, nobody speaks Dutch (~28mil). Portuguese has about ten times the number of speakers, and writers that are actually good.
>>
>>8479003

Portuguese should be up there with the other Romance languages.
>>
>>8478946
>Hoe was die laaste drie boeke wat jy gelees het? Ek stel belang.
>"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - Robert M. Pirsig
Ek kan nie sê dat ek alles volledig verstaan het nie, dit was lank terug toe ek dit gelees hit, maar behalwe as jy reeds geleerd is in filosofie behoort dit die moeite werd te wees.
>"Man's Search of Meaning" - Viktor E. Frankl
Kan die een nie so goed onthou nie, was ook baie lank terug, maar kan niks sleg sê oor dit nie. Ek sal hom weer moet lees voor ek 'n oordentlike opinie kan vorm.
>"Fooled by Randomness" - Nassim Taleb
Die boek, tesame met "The Black Swan", ook deur Taleb, het 'n groot invloed gehad op hoe ek dink oor goed in algemeen. As jy van Sagan se boek gehou het is die kanse groot dat jy die een ook sal waardeer.
>>
>>8479013
Italian, French and Spanish are all better than Portuguese.
>>
File: 1450774589367.jpg (693KB, 1008x1624px) Image search: [Google]
1450774589367.jpg
693KB, 1008x1624px
>>8479013
>Portugese
>up there with the other Romance languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJ5Lc0WwVw
>>
>>8478902
>tfw disgusting peruvian niggers killed Rongo Rongo
Waiting for the second war of the Pacific to avenge my fellow islanders tbqh
>>
Native Swede, I also speak English, German and French.

>tfw free education
>tfw learned fr & de for shits and gigs while being payed by the state
>>
>>8479145
>because

Any one with a major epic poet should be in the best tier.

Camões
>>
>>8479237
>major
>>
>>8479237
>people think non romance languages are good
>people think shakespeare was amazing
>>
This is a chart create with the sole intention to trigger you guys

And the posts in this thread are unbelievibly ignorant.
>>
>>8479145
Mostly because the genral public doesn't know about portuguese authors, since this language isn't used by any "major" country in the world, thing that may change in the next 50 years, or may not.

The thing is, portuguese have a very old tradition when it comes to literature, amazing poets and writers considered by great minds as genious, for example Mario Vargas Llosa said that Rosa was one of the best writers of the last century, also he said that Euclides da Cunha changed his whole view on literature togheter with Flaubert

People usually speak out of ignorance
>>
>>8479245
I'm not even Porc and cheese but you're pretty ignorant.
>>
>>8478993
>BECAUSE I LIVE IN FRANCE NOW
AND YOU GUYS TOLD ME THIS WAS A MEME
>>
>>8479160
>Implying that music isn't catchy af
Poor-tuguese reporting in
>>
>>8479245
so this is the powerlevel of /lit/
hahahahahahaha
>>
>>8479248
>Implying English speaking countries don't live in a big safe space where they praise good authors as being GOAT
>>
first and last
>>
>>8479267
>>8479254
>caring about some poortugese poet
>>
>>8479288
you should, if you care about literature
but this is /lit/ so yeah, nevermind
>>
Fluent in Dutch, Frisian and English; good at German, decent in French.

If you ever get the chance, read/listen to some Frisian poetry with translation. I think it has a lot of potential for creating a kind of raw atmosphere that I haven´t found much in other languages, including English. Tsjêbbe Hettinga is a good choice.
>>
File: 146788.jpg (282KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
146788.jpg
282KB, 1500x1000px
>>8479271
totally
>>8479288
caring about English poets. It's like DUDE, the words only "rhyme" phonetically. How retarded is that?
>>
I read and write in English and Irish.

Fuck you nigga, Irish is a beautifully poetic language and there's a massive amount of contemporary work. It's far from dead.
>>
>>8478958
babbies furst
>>
I speak English, German, Dutch and Japanese. Can understand French and Russian, and working on Swedish.
>>
>>8477772
Cheers from Hungary, senpai. Were there Hungarians among your ancestors?

>>8477389
My English is decent + I know some Norwegian, and recently started to learn Spanish.
>>
Speak/read:
English
Spanish

Want to learn or learning:
German
Urdu
Italian
>>
>>8479324
>it's the "my arguments are shit therefore I need a reaction picture to not lose face" episode
huh
>>
File: BACON STRIPS.png (591KB, 680x789px) Image search: [Google]
BACON STRIPS.png
591KB, 680x789px
>>8479416
>>major
>>caring

Nice arguments though.

>huh
Nice argument too.
>>
My native language is Farsi and I'm pretty sure it's one of the least \lit\ languages. None of Pynchon's or DFW's books are translated to Farsi. Ulysses and tons of others books are banned in here(Iran) so nobody translates them. It's only good for poetry but they're really hard to read because they're really far from modern farsi.
>>
>>8478796
Anon what did we tell you about trying to date Bjork
>>
>>8477402
Our flag was put there to piss off autists like you and brits on /int/
>>
File: 1469660918268.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1469660918268.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>8477389
>German
>beautiful
>>
File: CIA doubt.jpg (57KB, 250x402px) Image search: [Google]
CIA doubt.jpg
57KB, 250x402px
>>8477389
>spanish
>pussy magnet
>>
>>8479432
5 years for pleading people to join ISIS and 12 months for throwing bacon at a religious building. Seems legit
>>
>>8479490
Check for yourself because it's actually real.
>>
>>8477514
>better
not hard, the op chart was pure shit
>>
I've been learning Latin, Greek, Classical Arabic, and French for decades. Recently (last year or so) began with Sanskrit. I've dabbled also with Russian, Old English, Mandarin, Japanese, and Hebrew.
>>
>>8479496
I'm not dubious of the story, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous is that Anjem Choudary gets 5 years and that guy gets a year. He gets 20% of the time for 2% of the crime
>>
>Native
Polish
>Fluent
English
>Quite good
Japanese
>I can order beer and pretzels.
German
>>
>>8479432
Nice reading comprehension, friendo
>>
File: 157.jpg (104KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
157.jpg
104KB, 803x688px
>tfw linguistics degree and reading /lit/ talking about language
>>
>>8479568
Truly one of the most uninformed boards. But a degree means fuck all.
>>
>>8477890

it did for me actually
>>
>>8477389
Vietnamese/French/English/Korean

In that order of learning.
>>
>>8477554
Are you retarded? Britain had the biggest empire know history.
>>
>>8479631
Is there still french speakers in Vietnam? If so, how different is french vietnamese in comparison with regular French???
>>
Why has this thread been derailed by /int/ retards?? It's not a fucking pissing contest!!! All languages have a rich and decent literary background stop arguing like five year olds!!!!
>>
>>8479673
Mainly in Hanoi, I don't live in Vietnam anymore though.

>>8479680
!!!!
>>
>>8478865
>implying im dutch
nice
>>
>>8479668
empire of niggers
theyre the only major player in european history to not have a significant empire on the continent
>>
>>8480137
>Baits me to think he's dutch
>I was only trolling xD
trollface.jpg
>>
>>8479013
Speaking Portuguese sounds like speaking Spanish with a mouth full of marbles.
>>
>>8480670
last time it was "like russian with a mouth full of marbles"
make up your mind amerifat
>>
>>8480686
What are you talking about, yuropeon?
>>
Fluent
>English
>Spanish

Reading/understand on an academic level
>French
>German
>Arabic
>familiar with Greek

Arabic because my office is in the wrong department and I've been around middle east historians for 8 years. I get exposed all the time, and my colleagues are excited to teach the "language guy"(their label).
>>
>>8477412
I'm sorry, I'm this guy >>8481188
and I can say with confidence that for academic purposes ancient greek and latin are still very relevant. Understanding Latin and Ancient Greek is more important than any language in many fields, because there are a lot less translations or resources.
>>
>Fluent
English, Turkish, Spanish

>learning
Latin
>>
>>8477389
serbian and english at native fluency, spanish italian russian at varying degrees, can curse in arabic, had sex in ukrainian once
AMA faggits
>>
>>8481188
>middle east historians
so you should know ottoman persian-turkish
>>
>>8481206
> learning Latin
Gratulor te, amice. Qui libri legis ut discas Latinam linguam? Legistine Romani auctores?
>>
>>8478858
>If you are a an EU citizen
I was, though Brexit kind of did away with that. Hopefully a Visa process for Brits wont be too strict or anything around Europe, though the EU isn't too happy with us at the moment, so I'm not entirely sure how that will work out. I wonder how it is for the Swiss and Norwegians?
>>
>>8481247
> Hopefully a Visa process for Brits wont be too strict or anything around Europe
Brits have one of the best passports for Visas there is. It'll be fine.
>>
How and where do I start learning latin?
>>
>>8479573
definitely not 'fuck all'
>>
>>8481278
you can read Wheelock's latin on your own, but this is really something learned in universities for application reasons. If you aren't a literature, philosophy, or languages major you probably do not need Latin and also do not have the resources.
>>
English is my native language, I can speak/read Spanish pretty well, I can understand Portuguese but I struggle to speak it, and I can read a fair bit of Turkish. Apart from those, I only know smatterings of a billion different languages because I'm too hairbrained to pick just one and stick with it.
>>
>>8481331
Why is an academic setting necessary for Latin? Is it due to the difficulty of getting materials, or is it just that a teacher is required to properly understand the grammar?
>>
>>8481361
I learned it in high school with Wheelock and I would say a class is preferred but not necessary. You don't have to learn to speak/listen to it, which makes it easier. The grammar isn't that bad, it's very rigid which is a pain at first but once you get used to it provides little challenge. Vocabulary isn't bad either; there's at least one English word derived from pretty much every Latin word, which aids in memorization. And if you know any Romance language then the vocab is even easier. If you don't know any Romance languages, learning Latin makes learning them so much easier. I'm learning French right now and it's a breeze.
>>
>>8481361
To put it simply, latin is quite hard and without someone to work with you will make mistakes that will go uncorrected because it's not a properly spoken language so you can't go do things like watch movies in Latin. Some Latin texts, even those you're given for reference, will have mistakes because they're very old and things were not uniform. You truly, more than any language I'm familiar with, need a guide. Only perhaps some obscure Asian languages are harder to learn, even with Latin having a lot in common with languages you're already familiar with.

>>8481460
You're correct to an extent, but I think you're underestimating how hard it is to truly "know" Latin without classes and guided action. Wheelock is outstanding but not sufficient. Most Latin learning texts presume the reader has access to further academic resources after they finish.

With that said, everyone should be familiar with Latin up to the point Wheelock ends if they're at all interested in Western culture. It's too prevalent as a meta-language. Everything refers to Latin and Greek.
>>
English and Spanish. I can read French at a Tintin level.
>>
>>8477478
你学习中文多长时间了?
你去过中国?你想去中国吗?
>>
>>8480161
Fuck the continent.
>>
>>8480161

As opposed to renowned and powerful countries like Poland, Lithuania and Sweden.
>>
>>8481247
>>8481256

I don't think you'll have problems with that, the only thing the EU can get kind of strict if you start reforming your education making it too different from our system, thus not allowing student exchange.
>>
File: rusflag.jpg (128KB, 1280x787px) Image search: [Google]
rusflag.jpg
128KB, 1280x787px
Masterrace coming through
No literature can compare to that of Prussian/Russian authors (apart from ancient Greek)
>>
>>8477448
You just go around asking people to "Scheiße auf meiner Brust". Guaranteed pussy mang.
>>
>>8481460
>>8481690
learning latin is easier than learning french
>>
>>8477389
>english
>american flag

jesus fuck
>>
>>8481169
*tips burger*
>>
>>8477389
Italian
English
>>
>>8477389
>Putting Finish with Norwegian and Swedish in the same category

whoever made this list is a total pleb
>>
>>8477772
Csak igy tovabb anon!
>>
If I was to become a translator/interpreter, what would be the most profitable language to learn as a native English speaker?
>>
>>8486639
A language that is relevant for your country's future. If i had to off hand rec a language i would say mandarin chinese or russian.
Also keep in mind that interpreting is a long road
>>
Just Turkish and English. (makes me feel dumb desu). Would love to learn French but I already have school/life/gym/books and movies to think of.
>>
>>8477440
lol, here's your (you)
>>
>>8485906

Szerintem a kurva anyját, már csak azért is mert amerikai. Ha megtanul magyarul még elveszi a munkám.
>>
>>8477893
Japanese did it better though, heian on is already at least china tier, once you hit Qing it's pure Japanese domination to the present. Also Japanese people still read books and have no pc or alt right so they have a modern literature that isn't pure shit.

Are you korean by any chance?
>>
>>8477389
Dutch, French, German and English. Currently working on Russian. German is not a pussy magnet by any means, by the way.
Thread posts: 206
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.