/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything that I should read before Beckett's Trilogy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 6372-004-EE2C6523.jpg (31KB, 383x450px) Image search: [Google]
6372-004-EE2C6523.jpg
31KB, 383x450px
Is there anything that I should read before Beckett's Trilogy beforehand to get the most out of them? I heard that they are pretty difficult, and I don't want my efforts to go to waste.
>>
>>8474169
oops that beforehand was not necessary
>>
>>8474169
No, not really. Perhaps read some of his plays, godot, endgame, happy days, etc., just to get in touch with his style.
As for the trilogy,maybe start with the second one, Malone meurt. I found it more entertaining and not so tiring, in lack of a better word.
>>
>>8474186
thanks!
>>
just start it! i dont understand if you like it go deeper and get the references, if you dont just toss it from the window
>>
File: 1426691365613.jpg (19KB, 470x317px) Image search: [Google]
1426691365613.jpg
19KB, 470x317px
Godot > Endgame > Happy Days > More Pricks than Kicks > Krapp's Last Tape > Murphy > Watt > Not I > Trilogy
>>
>>8474186
Yeah I've read the trilogy multiple times, and molloy is by far the most trying of the trilogy. Like borderline Finnegans Wake level of unreadability at parts.
>>
>>8474271
>molloy is by far the most trying of the trilogy
?!?
>>
>>8474271
Is the inaccessibility due to a surplus of references like in Ulysses and FW? Or is it more the structure like JR? something else?
>>
File: 55b62fc38b9c4658a1d454fa45595f2a.jpg (478KB, 1536x1022px) Image search: [Google]
55b62fc38b9c4658a1d454fa45595f2a.jpg
478KB, 1536x1022px
>>8474271
>>8474325
>>8474329

I was snooping around for a challenging Molloy quote because I do remember some parts being fairly hard to follow. Then I found this amazing quote; fuck I forgot about this passage I really need to read it again:

“And in winter, under my greatcoat, I wrapped myself in swathes of newspaper, and did not shed them until the earth awoke, for good, in April. The Times Literary Supplement was admirably adapted to this purpose, of a neverfailing toughness and impermeability. Even farts made no impression on it. I can't help it, gas escapes from my fundament on the least pretext, it's hard not to mention it now and then, however great my distaste. One day I counted them. Three hundred and fifteen farts in nineteen hours, or an average of over sixteen farts an hour. After all it's not excessive. Four farts every fifteen minutes. It's nothing. Not even one fart every four minutes. It's unbelievable. Damn it, I hardly fart at all, I should never have mentioned it.”

― Samuel Beckett, Molloy
>>
>>8474186
>>8474271
That's really strange, Molloy was my favorite one and I thought much easier than the other two. I read the last half of Molloy in one day simply because I was that interested in what was going on, Malone Dies I found mindnumbingly boring and The Unnamable, fuck that, I stopped after about 10 pages. Maybe I'm not the best authority but whatever
>>
>>8474329
it is meant to look and be absurd, without someone or something -like a broad culture- guiding you it remains not comprehensible. plus a broad culture can help you very little if you are not used to avantgarde methods and style. plus old sammy didnt like to talk about his works, he wanted the viewer to be anxious and stunned by a theater opposite to that of aristotele.
lucky monologue will explain you better than my own words.
>>
>>8474361
what do you mean by a "broad culture guiding you"
>>
>>8474169
>grabbed Éditions de Minuit l'Innommable
>A1

How fucked am I?
>>
>>8474351
>>8474353
I don't understand either of you. Molloy seems to me the easiest of all - probably because it is the closest to having characters and a narrative -; coming from it I also found Malone often boring but was still ensnared by the hint of what came in the next book. While it isn't my favorite, the Unnameable clearly went through and beyond the first two.

>>8474329
Hardly any references, perhaps some Dante.
>>
>>8474429
I mean if you just know a little of french you can get a little better some of the concepts of godot (even the title itself).
Personally I enjoy Beckett because sometimes I can see something that looks recalls me of something that I kind of know (and I can recall from greek tragedy for example) but I cannot express. And that is the point of his works I believe
>>
>>8474351
Truly a disciple of Joyce
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.