[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most important aspect of literature? The plot? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1471795172165.jpg (162KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1471795172165.jpg
162KB, 1024x768px
What is the most important aspect of literature?
The plot?
The characters?
The descriptions?
The themes?
The aesthetics?
>>
>>8474123

It can be any of them.
>>
IMO characters, aesthetics, and themes.

I don't really think it can be any of them because a great plot can be completely ruined by sucky everything else, whereas a book with great characters or themes is probably going to stand as a good book without good plot or descriptions(maybe, trying to think of an example this). It's kind of difficult to disentangle these because good examples of each aspect tend to have the others on point as well.
>>
>>8474142

good characters necessitates a good plot.

So, characters and plot.

Aesthetics/themes are secondarily important but good themes are necessitated by a good plot usually.
>>
how it puts the words you are thinking from your mind to your lips
>>
>>8474161
>character/plot relationship
true
>>
the quality of the writing. all else is secondary.
>>
Experimental. Books are worthless if it's not pushing any boundaries.
>>
>>8474172
And yet a well executed timeless idea is more fun to experience than a poorly executed novelty.

I'm not saying you're totally wrong, but there's more nuance than that.
>>
>>8474161
>good characters necessitates a good plot.
Not true at all. Plenty of stories with fascinating or at the very least entertaining characters have plots that stretch the definition of that word.
>>
You can create literature with no plot, no characters, no description, and arguably no aesthetics. I guess every work is inevitably about something, but the point is that what the most important aspect is depends.
>>
>>8474167
>>8474171
correct answers. literature should be about communicating human feelings and experiences. good quality prose does that the best
>>
>>8474123
reading it, dummy.
>>
>>8474123
Additionally, dummy, they're all dependent on each other.

This is the stupidest question I've seen in awhile.
>>
>>8474270
>I guess every work is inevitably about something

What a genius we have here.
>>
>>8474161
Plot is not at all an obvious complementary to characters.
Actually, plot is the most philistine and limited category mentioned by OP, which is why an 'exciting' plot is at the centre of just about every shitty thriller, crime novel, and genre fantasy publication. Instead, if you look at a world classic like Austen, you'll see that a book like Pride and Prejudice obviously has a plot because it is a narrative and all, but it's definitely secondary to her literary craftsmanship, i.e. what she does with the prose/novellistic discourse.
Also, if we include literature to mean poetry, the common absence of a narrative basically means that plot is rarely if ever relevant, an exception being the epic poetry from which the novel ultimately stems.
>>
>>8474123
what do you mean by aesthetics if not descriptions? picturebooks?
Also >>8474126
if a book only does one well it won't be an enjoyable read but that doesn't make that particular aspect of it less valuable.
>>
Whatever a piece of literature treats as the most important aspect.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.