[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recent purchases thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 20160903_232030.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160903_232030.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
What books has /lit/ bought lately? Everything here was bought in the last few weeks except for Dune, both copies of The Hobbit and that Biology textbook. How'd I do? And is Spring Snow a good place to start with Mishima?
>>
>>8471192
DUDE
>>
File: IMG_20160904_085036.jpg (580KB, 1440x1718px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160904_085036.jpg
580KB, 1440x1718px
A greek drama collection
Oedipus
5 dramas from Shakespeare(fucking ugly cover,no other edition was avalible)
Confucianist tales
>>
Purchases from the last four weeks

Star Wars - Tales Of The Bounty Hunters
The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov
The Kon-Tiki Expedition by Thor Heyerdahl
The Silent World by Jacques-Yves Cousteau
Words by Jean-Paul Sartre
Stranger In A Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
Virtual Light by William Gibson
Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
The Fountains Of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne
>>
File: 20160904_152421.jpg (4MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_152421.jpg
4MB, 4608x2592px
Pic for the list above (forgot to attach)
>>
>>8471192
That publication of Dune is a lot bigger than mine. Does it include the later books or something?
>>
>>8471192
>Che Guevara
Ever since I learned of his serial rape (described by his friends) and the series of executions that he personally insisted on performing, I can never take anybody who reads this shit seriously.
>>
>>8472304
I still can't believe how he is rewarded as a hero, and it's outstanding the amount of people that worship him despite him being a shithead, rapist, pillager and murderer
>>
>>8472917
because the essence of the hero is not that he's a saint, but he strived for greatness outside of the boundaries of society. Go back to greek and germanic mythology m8. Che Guevara is the literal manifestation of the mythical hero who causes great upheaval and often terror by his action
>>
>>8472304
>>8472917
>>8473020

Meh. The right wing critique of Che Guevara is true, but nonetheless unimportant. This other dude on the other hand, on the same side of the page, defends the figure of the hero. One critiques, and one defends the hero. The thing about going into "hero" territory is that all leaders in history are murderers and pillagers.

So what I think is that the hero territory should be left to people who don't really care about history. Leaving this territory we can think this:

1) The problem is not so much ethical (was Che a murderer?) as practical. In all practical sense, Che was not a marxist and this was not a marxist revolution. Masses of people took the country from the bourgeoise, the largest battles being fought inside the city, and when Batista was beaten, Guevara and Fidel and the rest of the guerrillas came down from the mountains to be greeted by the masses. So we have a popular, that is a massive revolution, contrasted with the "hero story" which is not even historically accurate. In this sense, it was not even a marxist revolution because in the end it was just correct administration of the capitalist economy by a bureacracy.

2) Che's ideas (foquismo) sucked and every country in which they have been tried, they have failed. This is the reason why Guevara was captured in the first place. The same lack of coherent revolutionary theory ended up in Cuba withholding weapons from the Guatemalan popular insurgency and making Fidel an accomplice of CIA funded death squads and counterinsurgency.

Hope this contributes somewhat to a discussion that goes further than the personal traits of so-called heroes (which they're not)
>>
>>8473070
My point is not whether he was a hero or not, but that he is perceived as one
>>
>>8473078
Because he's chic and looks cool on a t-shirt, the only people that have any form of real knowledge of him are either crazy or have at a minimmum a dislike of him.

To further understand him, i can tell you his kind of people (kids from a well to do family that can afford traveling the continent) are to a man retards with a huge messiah complex that feel superior to the stupid latinos from the rest of the continent, he wasn't a hero, he was a kid that felt so superior to the rest of the continent he felt entitled to force his ideologies, at gun point if needed.

Source: I'm from argentina.
>>
>>8471192
What do you fucking mean "how did I do?" stop looking for validation. Enjoy what you like and dislike what you don't like. Who gives a fuck what people think. People like you really annoy me, reading just so they can appear cool or hip. Piss off.
>>
File: IMG_20160904_195643.jpg (4MB, 3530x3096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160904_195643.jpg
4MB, 3530x3096px
the ones without titles are
Tolstoy - The Devil and Other Stories (left)
Turguenev - Fathers and Sons (right)
>>
thrift stores are godsend. Went to my local Goodwill and each book was 1 dollar, amazing
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.