[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poetry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: stock-photo-poetry-339411857.jpg (20KB, 450x295px) Image search: [Google]
stock-photo-poetry-339411857.jpg
20KB, 450x295px
Is there any poetry that doesn't sound forced and cringe? I'm not baiting or anything, its just that every poem I read is pretty much the same stereotypical and forced thing.
>>
File: 1472770276560.jpg (155KB, 600x934px) Image search: [Google]
1472770276560.jpg
155KB, 600x934px
>>8469401
Have you read any of the classics?

The only way I could see you thinking this is you've read poetry written by people who aren't very good at writing poetry. Or maybe you're approaching it wrong. Poetry isn't meant to be read like prose.

What are some of the authors you've read?
>>
Two Hangovers, by James Wright:

Number One

I slouch in bed.
Beyond the streaked trees of my window,
All groves are bare.
Locusts and poplars change to unmarried women
Sorting slate from anthracite
Between railroad ties:
The yellow-bearded winter of the depression
Is still alive somewhere, an old man
Counting his collection of bottle caps
In a tarpaper shack under the cold trees
Of my grave.

I still feel half drunk,
And all those old women beyond my window
Are hunching toward the graveyard.

Drunk, mumbling Hungarian,
The sun staggers in,
And his big stupid face pitches
Into the stove.
For two hours I have been dreaming
Of green butterflies searching for diamonds
In coal seams;
And children chasing each other for a game
Through the hills of fresh graves.
But the sun has come home drunk from the sea,
And a sparrow outside
Sings of the Hanna Coal Co. and the dead moon.
The filaments of cold light bulbs tremble
In music like delicate birds.
Ah, turn it off.

Number Two:

I Try to Waken and Greet the World Once Again

In a pine tree,
A few yards away from my window sill,
A brilliant blue jay is springing up and down, up and down,
On a branch.
I laugh, as I see him abandon himself
To entire delight, for he knows as well as I do
That the branch will not break.
>>
>>8469411
>Or maybe you're approaching it wrong
Mind explaining how I should approach it, all I know is that you should read it aloud.
>What are some of the authors you've read?
I skimmed pretty much every /lit/core from homer to ezra
>>
>>8469413
>Locusts and poplars change to unmarried women
>The yellow-bearded winter of the depression
>In a tarpaper shack under the cold trees
Of my grave.
cringe.
Wasnt this suppose to be an example of a poem that isnt cringe?
>>
>>8469437
How about this, then?

>Wouldn't it be funny
>if The Finger had designed us
>to shit just once a week?
>
>all week long we'd get fatter
>and fatter and then on Sunday morning
>while everyone's in church
>
>ploop!
>>
>>8469459
much better.
>>
>>8469435
> you should read it aloud.

I'm personally of the opposite opinion here. I feel poetry can be awkward when read aloud without an understanding of the author's intended cadence. I prefer reading to myself; I find I fall into it better that way.

But what I meant is that poetry is meant to be interpreted and deconstructed unlike prose. Prose is mostly blatantly descriptive, while poetry is often metaphorical. Its like a riddle that says something about the world, the meaning is hidden. It could be your just someone who doesn't "get" poetry. I've know plenty of intelligent people who just didn't enjoy it.

How about this one? Its one of my favorite simpler pieces. https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/52315

Or if you think that's too pretentious: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/52298
>>
>>8469473
>But what I meant is that poetry is meant to be interpreted and deconstructed unlike prose
Yeah I remember that really well from high school.
>How about this one? Its one of my favorite simpler pieces. https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/52315
>Or if you think that's too pretentious: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/52298
Is there some text on how I should read poetry because even though they are completely different it just sounds the same to me. Or its supposed to be this way?
>>
>>8469515
>Or its supposed to be this way?
No, they're actually quite different in many ways. They differ in the style, the meter, the subject, the metaphor, so on so forth. I'm somewhat surprised to hear they sound the same to you. They're quite different pieces from different periods.

I'd recommend you read this article to start you out: https://poemshape.wordpress.com/category/guides/about-plain-figurative-metaphoric-poetry/
It goes into some of the major differenses in poetry, which is metaphoric style. A poet's view on metaphor will often strongly shape his poetry, being that poetry is highly metaphorical. I'd also suggest you read more of this guy's stuff, he's helped me quite a lot with writing poetry. You'll see on the right there's a list of links: I'd recommend stuff from the guides section.

I do have another question for you. I'd infer you don't particularly enjoy poetry, but I might be wrong. So, do you? Is there any poetry you've ever read and though simply "Well that was pleasant"? And what exactly is driving you here? Are you just curious as to why so many people hype about poetry?

Although I enjoy the deconstructionist side of poetry, there is also the simply descriptive nature of poetry. Some poems are very blatant and plain in their metaphors, but incredibly fine in their description. The imagery in these pieces is what makes them great. Maybe you'd prefer something more of that nature?
>>
>>8469642
>They differ in the style, the meter, the subject, the metaphor, so on so forth. I'm somewhat surprised to hear they sound the same to you. They're quite different pieces from different periods.
Yes I noticed that but when I read them and imagine them it just looks the same when you look at the big picture.
>https://poemshape.wordpress.com/category/guides/about-plain-figurative-metaphoric-poetry/
It goes into some of the major differenses in poetry, which is metaphoric style. A poet's view on metaphor will often strongly shape his poetry, being that poetry is highly metaphorical. I'd also suggest you read more of this guy's stuff, he's helped me quite a lot with writing poetry. You'll see on the right there's a list of links: I'd recommend stuff from the guides section.
Thanks! I will read everything
>Is there any poetry you've ever read and though simply "Well that was pleasant"?
I don't remember something like that to be honest. Its the same with music. I enjoy some songs that have lyrics in them but when I focus on them/read them it just makes me cringe so I make up something in my mind. Maybe I have autism or just am doing something really horribly wrong.
>Is there any poetry you've ever read and though simply "Well that was pleasant"?
Because I want to understand it better and implement it properly in my music but also to really just see what it can offer in general.
>>
File: yutaka_waving.gif (358KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
yutaka_waving.gif
358KB, 500x289px
>>8469695
Well, I hope the link helps. I can't really understand why lyrics turn you off like they do.

Hope you figure it out. Good luck.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.