[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best and worst works? Best: Bleak House Worst: A tale of two cities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Dickens_Gurney_head.jpg (160KB, 814x1190px) Image search: [Google]
Dickens_Gurney_head.jpg
160KB, 814x1190px
Best and worst works?

Best: Bleak House
Worst: A tale of two cities
>>
>>8467492
Best: JR
Worst: Carpenter's Gothic
>>
>>8467492
Are you trying to be funny son?
>>
>>8467492
Worst: Barnaby Rudge or Hard Times.

Favourite: always Pickwick Papers
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 400x328px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 400x328px
>>8467498
Fuck I forgot the picture
>>
File: Kazuo-Ishiguro.jpg (3MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Kazuo-Ishiguro.jpg
3MB, 2048x1536px
Best: Remains of the Day
Worst: Buried Giant
>>
>>8467492
OP here, I was trying to start a Charles Dickens thread. I sure fucked up.
>>
>>8467502
no
>>
>>8467492
Best: Davy C
Worst: Hard TImes
>>
>>8467516
I liked Buried Giant.
>>
>>8467504
>>8467704
What's wrong with hard times?
>>
I loved Christmas Carol. What should I read next?
>>
>>8468597
The Polar Express
>>
>>8467492
Best: Great Expectations
Worst: Old Curiosity Shop

>>8468588
Nothing. It's one of my favorites.
>>
How is Little Dorritt? I wanted to read it thinking it was about prison and I thought that'd be a cool Dickens topic. But the prison turned out to be a boring debtors prison so I gave it up.
>>
>>8468609
Kek
>>
>>8467504
Just finished Pickwick Papers, it was really great. I actually wish it was longer and we could have seen more adventures with the rest of the Pickwick club.
I think I appreciated it more because not too long ago I read Don Quixote, and this is basically the English version of it.
>>
Is there a good edition compiling his best novels?
>>
>>8470209
Bump
>>
>>8470233
Didn't mean to bump this
>>
>>8467516

>picks an author's second and third best books as the best/worst books

terrible opinion. you should be ashamed.
>>
Worst: The Old Curiosity Shop
>>
>>8467492
>Best: Bleak House
Yes, this
>Worst: AToTC
It lacks the humor of his other novels, but it's a powerful story

>>8467504
>Worst: Barnaby Rudge
This is more like it. (Incidentally it's the other novel besides Two Cities that's based around real-life events.) I would rank Martin Chuzzlewit lower even.
>Favorite: Pickwick
It's his most unabashedly joyous and giddy, before the bitterness started to settle in

>>8468597
He wrote four other Christmas novellas after the success of Christmas Carol. The others never matched the first one, and they more or less drop in quality chronologically, but The Chimes (more of a New Year's Eve tale) and The Cricket on the HEarth (the coziest one imo) are good, The Battle of Life is okay, and The Haunted Man is the least of them.
>>
>>8467498
Dickens or GTFO
>>
I read A Tale of Two Cities and loathed it. I see Bleak House get a lot of praise but I don't want to get tricked again. Should I give it a go?
>>
Best: david Copperfield
Worst: a tale of two cities
>>
Best: Our Mutual Friend

Worst: Old Curiousity Shop
>>
>>8469078
>But the prison turned out to be a boring debtors prison

You want the hardcore, for murderers prison, aren't ya?

Just read a book about Australia then
>>
>>8468588
It's good but it feels too short.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.