[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's this translation of the odyssey? It was only 20 cents.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160902_201439574[1].jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160902_201439574[1].jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
How's this translation of the odyssey? It was only 20 cents.
>>
>>8467163
>Odyssey
>Says Illiad on the cover
If this truly is the smartest board this website should be shut down.
>>
>>8467163
i read one of this guy's translations, it's prose i think. yeah i know it's not the odyssey, and that this is bait, but it wasn't bad. i actually enjoyed it compared to the shitty verse translations i had read before.
>>
>>8467182
>this

But to answer your question, it's a good translation for a first read/younger readers. It's written in prose, and is really accessible. I would suggest reading his translations of The Iliad and Odyssey, then coming back to Lattimore and/or Fagles after some time has passed, and finally Pope after that.

That's all just personal opinion, though. You can find analysis of the various translations online, as well as excerpts from each, and decide how you want to go about it based on what you're looking for.
>>
>>8467231
Hows the fitzgerald translation?
>>
>>8467297
Fitzgerald is ok, but it has its flaws. In my opinion, it, like Rouse, is better for a first read or younger readers if you don't want to go prose. His translation is what tends to be used in public schools, or at least it's the translation that has been excerpted in the textbooks used since I was a freshman in high school 13 years ago and still is now as I found out when I started teaching last year, so you can be assured it's alo relatively accessible. I think it's a step up from Rouse in terms of language, but a step or so beneath Fagles and especially Lattimore, in terms of both language and reflecting the Homeric Greek.

Basically, if it's a first read, it's not a bad idea to go Rouse or Fitzgerald depending if you want prose or poetry, but if you want the "best", I would recommend Lattimore (at least of the translations I've read, all of which I've now discussed), although Fagles has his merits as well.

Also, here's a good discussion of various translations I just found. It goes into Fagles, Fitzgerald, and Lattimore about 1/3 of the way down.

http://community.middlebury.edu/~harris/homer.translation.html
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.