[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Sound and the Fury

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: quentincompson.png (229KB, 472x736px) Image search: [Google]
quentincompson.png
229KB, 472x736px
Was this passage in The Sound and the Fury of any significance in context at all.

Was it just to show how mentally unstable Quentin was. I'm trying to analyze it but all I can see is that Quentin is rambling on about his Father's words to him and Caddy's suitors.
>>
niga you think I'm finna read that no one hears reads
>>
It outlines exactly what Quentin is so distraught about in his entire section
>>
>>8467049
This exactly.
The three notes at the top of the page are signifying the passage of time and at this point Quentin knows he's going to kill himself. The passage of time is a reminder of how far off the compson name has fallen and it marks him going further and further away from that southern code he idolized so much.

There's more to this interpretation but it's there.
>>
>>8466989
I don't wanna interpret it unless you tell me how much of it you understand, but from that post it seems you understand very little, so I'll take a shoot:

First there's the image (repeated before) of the clock striking, which ties into time, which ties into death. Quentin's image of a flame swirling up then blowing out is that of the human life, popping up for a moment then gone, in an almost explicit allusion to the famous:"Out, out, brief candle!" from the soliloquy the title alludes to, and ties in with his thoughts of suicide. There's images from the past that float of (Quentin, like the South, is stuck in the past, traumatized), the image of Caddy's "wild unsecret flesh", which ties into Quentin's claiming that he screwed Caddy and got her pregnant because he wants to protect her honor, which was shamed by some douche who knocked her up and ran away before they could get married. Then there's the image of the Gadarene swine which Jesus put the devils he exorcised into and they run off into the ocean. Since pigs usually have connotations of disgustingness and baseness, he's probably associating them with sex, flesh, etc., Caddy and that guy who knocked her up's screwing, and possibly imagining some end to those demons of lusts as described in the Bible.

Then it gets significantly more complex here, but not too hard if you parse it carefully. Faulkner uses lowercase "he" before Quentin's dad is speaking and lowercase "i" before Quentin is speaking (although I guess you probably already got that since you got he's talking to his father). Faulkner claimed to use the lowercase i in an interview because Quentin's ego and sense of selfhood is already weakening as he approaches death.

Anyway, his dad's a cynic, knows Quentin obviously didn't knock her up and he's just pretending that out of some idea of honor, and urges him to believe that this is just a temporary state of mind and one day it won't hurt so much. This hurts Quentin a lot since (like the South itself), he's stuck to the past, a notion of pastoral innocence, and wants to revive it instead of accepting change and impermanence, which is why he repeats the word "temporary" again and again, in the shocked way people have of repeating other people's words when they offend them, it seems.

Finally, yes, Quentin seems to be becoming pretty mentally unstable, the pronouns before their respective speech are probably meant to convey the unorderly jumble in Quentin's head, and the fact that this is almost all one long runon sentence and he's remembering all this so vividly shows how far he is from living in the present, how dissociated he is from life and obsessed with his past traumas.

Good luck reading the rest, it gets significantly easier from after Quentin's section.
>>
>>8467150
I wish I could be able to analyze Faulkner's text more like that.

I'm planning on reading Absalom, Absalom! (I've already finished this book) do you have any tips for me to be able to interpret the meaning Faulker puts behind his text and just more literature in general in the future.
>>
>>8467265
Read a lot, come back to books you've read before later.

If you think that's what I got from TSATF on my first reading, you're sorely mistaken.

There's a part of the brain responsible for interpreting language, the brain is neuroplastic, so the more difficult language you read and accustom yourself to, strange types of syntaxes, the more you'll be able to understand different prose styles. You might not even understand much of a book on a first read, but it's worth it for the experience if you really wanna be a dedicated scholar. The only way to understand more books is to read more books. Once again, good luck in the future.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.