[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>i'm a big fan of hunter s. thompson

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1471164539991.png (728KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1471164539991.png
728KB, 1106x1012px
>i'm a big fan of hunter s. thompson
>>
>>8466367
what's wrong with this?
>>
File: 1270839290238.png (136KB, 396x381px) Image search: [Google]
1270839290238.png
136KB, 396x381px
>>8466401
>>
>>8466367
>I post dead jokes
>>
>>8466401
what he didn't wasn't really journalism, a lot of what he wrote was heavily exaggerated or downright falsified

he also blew his fucking brains out with his kids in the next room

he was not known for being a good father, at all, or husband

he was also a heavy alcoholic

personally I find his writing somewhat entertainig, his nixon work was good, not sure why he's so famous, he wasn't that talented
>>
>>8466430
Exactly why I like him. He could write well and wrote about things that's interested me in a way which was pretty unique and captivating

But he did drag it out for ages, I think to make a living without any honest attempts to further himself

I think Hunter S. Thompson was Hunter S. Thompson, a nut bag who managed to fluke it into a career which gave him the opportunity to be a weirdo. Not the peak of literature but I think he left a lasting legacy with his gonzo journalism
>>
>"I like reading"
>"Me too, what do you read?"
>"Harry Potter"

Every time
>>
>>8466430
>what he didn't wasn't really journalism, a lot of what he wrote was heavily exaggerated or downright falsified
same with dfw
>>
>>8466467
what? theres nothing exaggerated on dfw articles
>>
People with a superficial familiarity might think he was a superficial writer. What he was, though, was a genius of style that people who came of age in his wake have no appreciation of, because they live in a world he altered and take it for granted. It's not his fault that everyone knows him by the wrong book or that they confuse the bigger-than-life persona with the writer that projected it. If I could only take 3 books to a desert island, The Great Shark Hunt would definitely be one of them, and his later work, when people just wanted to play the old stuff, is still very clearly one of the most unique and brilliant writing voices America has produced.

And he was very encouraging of young writers' work. I sent him something once an he returned a very kind note.
>>
>>8466499

Yeah, I love the journalism but don't doubt that liberties were taken.
>>
>>8466550
This reeks of mid 20s "enlightened" neckbeard.
>>
>>8466569
No one will ever accuse YOU of having an original voice!
>>
>>8466588
>no you

What a wit! Very thompsonian!
>>
>>8466550

I agree with this poster, besides the quality of his later work.

Fear and Loathing in LV is one of my least favorite works by him.

It's annoying that everyone thinks of him as this crazy and wild degenerate. He sort of was that, but he was also a very talented writer, and well-read, though he took care not to make allusions. He ran a club for literary discussion in high school called the Athenaeum for God's sake (he also was in trouble with the law a lot).

It's like Samuel Johnson. Everyone thinks of him as this smartass fatfuck with tourette's. Nobody knows anything he wrote besides his Dictionary. But he was a brilliant critic and writer.
>>
>>8466590
Just stating the obvious, peaches. Don't pout.
>>
>>8466367
>I've read the entry level stuff and really need you to know
>>
>>8466450
>He could write well
nope
>>
>>8466499
Says in his bio that he made a lot of stuff up for his essays
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.