[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of psychoanalysis? Is it really pseudo-science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: suckingofftheOther.jpg (81KB, 275x373px) Image search: [Google]
suckingofftheOther.jpg
81KB, 275x373px
What do you think of psychoanalysis?
Is it really pseudo-science?
Who do you especially like/hate? Freud, Adler, Jung, Lacan, Reich etc
Also, subject-related book suggestions thread
>>
>psychoanalysis
>>>/b/
>>
>>8465641
Why so?
>>
I like Ricoeur's idea of psychoanalysis as a hermeneutic of the subject, but it's also a bit of a (typically French) cop-out, so I try to keep a (typically Anglo) comment by Chomsky that psychoanalysis is categorically wrong, just flat wrong and dumb, in my head as a corrective.

In its broadest sense, it's interesting as philosophy, or as a canvas for philosophical insight to be worked out on. But it's pretty bad as science. But again, you have to resist even the subtler forms of scientism, which deny the possibility of any distant landscape just because the intervening path is badly drawn. The subtle cultural effects of a widespread attunement to psychodynamics and the hermeneutics of the unconscious might have benefits that aren't easily measurable except in hindsight. Cognitive science people are some of the greediest fucking wieners, more like psychoanalysts in trying to subsume everything to their discipline than they think.

Practicing psychoanalysis is generally pretty awful though. Some of it is OK, but generally the more OK it is, the more informed by general psychology it is, until it becomes only a source of insights rather than being anything constitutive of the therapy at its base. And it's also full of insane cultist fucks, thieves, and charisma worshipers, and has ruined many, many lives.

Psychoanalytical humanities scholarship is the same as far as I can tell. When it's a source of insights, it can be cool. But then it just becomes nuanced intellectual biography that vaguely involves "drives." When it tries to be rigorous, it starts to read like Cold War communist literature, where everything has to be written according to the comprehensive cult worldview of dialectical materialism. It's just really fucking bland.
>>
it isnt le science so it is le bad!
>>
>>8465622
I like how psychoanalysis is the most triggering thing you can post on /lit/ these days.

>What do you think of psychoanalysis
I like it a lot

>Is it really a pseudo-science
Even Lacan refused to call it a science:
"Psychoanalysis is not a science. It has no scientific status - it merely waits and hopes for it. Psychoanalysis is a delusion - a delusion which is expected to produce a science. . . . It is a scientific delusion, but this doesn't mean that analytic practice will ever produce a science"

Zizek explains what psychoanalysis is really well from 10:45 and a minute on
>>
>>8465682
I'm sorry but you dismissed psychoanalysis wrong and dumb because Chomsky said so, it produced semi-cults, and it isn't science-based. It's not a very good argument.
>>
>>8465728
But how does that make you FEEL?
>>
>>8465740
>psychoanalysis fags on suicide watch

Why don't you try SCIENCE and logic, retards!?? lol
>>
>>8465740
now that's an argument
>>
>>8465715
You forgot something mate
>>
Deriving meaning in life is not science, unless you think sexual or kin selection is meaningful, which it isn't, so fuck off stemfags.
>>
>>8465682
>dialectical materialism

psychoanalysis is metaphysical materialism, mate
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.