[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Started Writing...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: d4.jpg (10KB, 236x189px) Image search: [Google]
d4.jpg
10KB, 236x189px
I started writing and I wrote a sentence and not sure if it makes sense grammatically. The more I looked at it I wasn't so sure. I could use a second opinion on it. Does the following sentence make sense grammatically?

"Good riddance to not having to play that horrid video game anymore"

Is that sentence grammatically incorrect?
>>
>>8464131
yeah it is
>>
>>8464146
But why anon? The sentence makes sense to me.
I need enlightenment if I am to be the new Tolstoy.
>>
>>8464146
I thought so yeah. How?
>>
>>8464149
He said "Good riddance to not having to play that video game anymore." He used the word 'not.'

He said good riddance to not playing. Which implies that you are free of not being able to play.

He really meant, "good riddance to having to play the video game."
>>
>>8464131
It's grammatically correct, but it just sounds off.
>>
>>8465048
What is a better way to word it
>>
Anon correct grammar is the secondary goal of a writer. First and foremost is properly communicating what you want the reader to understand. Proper grammar should only be a goal of yours if you're not sure that what you've written makes sense to others. The sentence you posted does make sense, but it's awkward and uncanny. I wouldn't use it personally, but if it fits the character that is saying it then by all means it is even more appropriate than using proper grammar.
>>
>"not having to play that horrid video game anymore"
>the game
Did I just lose the game?
>>
>>8465061
Thank you. Pretty much the character is saying he is relieved he doesn't have to play that game any more. With the way the sentence is worded, that is what he is saying, right?
>>
>>8464131

It's not grammatically incorrect, it's logically nonsensical.

It should be

"Good riddance to having to play that horrid video game."

That's grammatically correct and logically expresses what I presume your meaning to have been, but it's still awkward.

Best of all would be "Good riddance to that horrid video game."

And even then "horrid" sounds pretty faggy, unless your narrator is supposed to be some sort of queer then it's spot on A+
>>
>>8465083
Well unless your character is a pretentious pseudo-intellectual i suggest you rewrite it, and I know I shouldn't validate it, but yes it does get "the point" across.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.