[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one develop the virtue of humility?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Saint-Augustine-Quotes-3.jpg (205KB, 2000x1019px) Image search: [Google]
Saint-Augustine-Quotes-3.jpg
205KB, 2000x1019px
How does one develop the virtue of humility?
>>
>>8463476
You either have it or you don't, man. For instance, I was heavily abused and bullied as a child and I am remarkably humble.

Good luck, OP.
>>
>>8463476
the key to humility is to value others as much as yourself
>>
>>8463502
>>8463488

Thank you but are there any actionable things I can do as opposed to just thinking my way to humility.

For example, if I wanted to oppose the Sin of Greed, I would cultivate the virtue of Generosity by perhaps donating to charity and sharing my possessions
>>
>>8463520
Jesus Christ, fuck humility. People will just take advantage of you. The seven deadly sins and their counterpart virtues were made up by bloodless theologians than elaboratized by Spenser.
>>
>>8463520
Humility isn't actually so much about lowering yourself as it is about raising others up.

You need to see all other humans as being special and divine. They, after all, are created in the image and likeness of God just as you are. And remember, Christ says, "whatsoever you did for the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me." You need to look at other people and see Christ in them, and treat them appropriately. Do good to others based on how highly you esteem them, which, if you treat them like Christ, should be very high indeed. That's how you be humble. Recognize that Christ is in everyone you meet.
>>
Lock yourself up in a tiny room for at least a month (multiple years ideally) and only spend that time thinking about what excrement you are and looking at your naked body in the mirror.

You're welcome. Good luck!
>>
>>8463535

This is perfect, thank you.
>>
>>8463520
>For example, if I wanted to oppose the Sin of Greed, I would cultivate the virtue of Generosity by perhaps donating to charity and sharing my possessions
Giving is not the opposite of greed and doesn't magically cancel it out. If you want to cultivate humility, you need to constantly remind yourself to be humble and that you're not special in relation to other people. It's a constant struggle that can't be countered with action

It's basically changing your psychology, rather than actions. The action is important, but the willingness and will to change are more important and require a lot of work
>>
>>8463535

This is a great post.
>>
>>8463520
Judge only yourself, look after your own faults, acknowledge and thank God in your success. All glory and honor to him.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.