[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christian Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Christ , Mt.Athos, 13th century.jpg (98KB, 413x562px) Image search: [Google]
Christ , Mt.Athos, 13th century.jpg
98KB, 413x562px
All discussion is welcome here, with an emphasis on recommendations.

I was asked in another thread for books that focus on the mystical aspect of our Faith.

This article is a good overview and gives you many authors whose works would be beneficial.

Special attention should be paid to the Fathers for anyone interested in a deeper understanding of the Ancient Faith. The mystical nature of Christianity is seen most clearly in their writings.

>The Holy Fathers set forth their thoughts, their heart, the image of their activity in their writings. This means: what a true guidance to heaven, which is borne witness to by heaven itself, are the writings of the Fathers.

Saint Ignatius Brianchaninov
>>
http://www.orthodox.cn/patristics/apostolicfathers/mystic.htm

here is the article mentioned in the OP
>>
Graham Greene, Heart of the Matter, End of the Affair
Shusaku Endo, Kiki's Prayer, Silence
Gene Wolfe, Book of the New Sun, Peace
Aleksandar Solzenickin, Gulag Archipelago, First Circle
Flannery O'Connor, Complete Stories, Wise Blood
Teresa of Avila, Interior of a Castle
John Henry Newman, Story of a Convert, Apologia Pro Vita Sua
Thomas Merton, Seven Story Mountain, Thoughts in Solitude
John of the Cross, Dark Night of the Soul
Meister Eckhart, Complete Mystical Works
St. Augustine, Confessions
Ivan Gundulic, Tears of the Prodigal Son
>>
>>8462359
I occasionally see Graham Greene mentioned here and there, what's a good reading order for him? How would you describe his writing?
>>
>>8462383
He had a very turbulent spiritual life, dancing between faith, hatred of God and complete disbelief, as a lifelong adulter and a person who traveled a lot, he writes of very mundane things, his characters are middle aged, broken, their suffering and boredom is originating almost entirely from their not even great mistakes or vices. The suffering Endo or Dostoevsky portray is theatrical, cathartic and grandiose, reached in moments of ecstasy of pain or guilt, but with him it's a slow decline into mediocrity and a slow spiritual death.
>>
>Life of Saint Columba
It really deflates the mythos. Seek out the countless rejected dogma, they're altogether hilarious.

Christianity is a cankerous, fatalistic, gluttonous, imperial subversion of human dignities. You should feel bad about perpetuating it.
>>
>>8462403
*tips fedora*
>>
>>8462403

I used to be an atheist. The joy I find in Jesus Christ is incomparable. I'll pray for you, that you might find the same.
>>
>>8462435
STEM from
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.