[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to his work, where do I start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

I'm new to his work, where do I start?
>>
>>8462134
dumpster
>>
File: 51K6hMLyeCL.jpg (35KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
51K6hMLyeCL.jpg
35KB, 333x500px
>>8462134
actually i'd say start at the end with pic related

this is a really interesting series of books btw
>>
>>8462134
Sirens of Titan
Cat's Cradle
Slaughterhouse five just to know what all the memes are about

The thing about him is that most of his books are fairly similar to one another and his charm can wear thin pretty quickly.
>>
you don't
>>
>>8462240
This is the correct answer
>>
>>8462134
You can read A Man Without A Country in a couple hours or less. It's a collection of writings and essays about his life that are generally aphoristic. It's a short introduction to his writing style and where he's writing from, in a sense.

>>8462240
Otherwise, this is his best stuff. If you absolutely love his humor and want a simple read, then Breakfast of Champions is good enough. If you want anymore I'd recommend Mother Night, and while I don't here much praise at all for his later writing, I've heard that Time Quake is alright.
>>
>>8462240
This is the right answer. These three and you've got his best.
>>
>>8462134

Start with some of his short stories, in particular 'Harrison Bergeron' and then some others that are readily available online including '2 B R 0 2 B' and 'The Big Up Yonder'. Welcome to the Monkey House is a good story collection. Don't bother with any of the cash-grab collections that were cobbled together posthumously (with 'Unpublished' in the title)
If you're inclined to read his first novel Player Piano and see how it fits into the history of dystopian lit, you might want to read it fairly early on since the style is wordy and not as readable as most of his other work. The earlier you read it, the less you'll lose patience with his style.
After that he found his voice and through the '60s produced most of his best work. Any of the following are worthwhile: Sirens of Titan, Mother Night, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse-Five (maybe God Bless You Mr. Rosewater but I can't remember it).
After S5 a lot of his work seems to me to be not quite as good. Breakfast of Champions is mean-spirited. Galápagos is pretty good; Bluebeard is supposed to be too. I kind of like Timequake even though I'm sure he phoned it in.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.