[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turkish Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: cover.jpg.rendition.460.707.png (221KB, 460x702px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg.rendition.460.707.png
221KB, 460x702px
What do you think about it? Is it worth a shot?
>>
>>8460685
Anyone?
>>
Bump
Also I've heard that Tutunamayanlar by Oguz Atay is Turkish Ulysses, can anyone back that up?
>>
OP it seems you know more about Turkish lit than we do. Shoot, I barely know any Arabic or Asian lit either. If the book is good would you kindly let us know, maybe we can branch out our reading taste.
>>
>>8460685
It is worth a shot but I don't understand why it is still a bestseller in Turkey after 70 years. Sabahattin Ali has much better books in my opinion but this one is always more popular because of entry level litfags going crazy over it. If you are looking for something to read by Turkish authors in English my reccomendations would be Tanpınar (Time Regulation Institute), Bilge Karasu (The Night) or Yaşar Kemal (Memed, My Hawk).

>>8461878
Tutunamayanlar is the ultimate meme book of Turkey. Most people going crazy about it haven't even read it so it might be correct that it is the Ulyssess of Turkey in those aspects. It's like saying that IJ is the Ulysses of USA. I don't think they are comparable in terms of style or plot. It is one of my favourite novels by a Turkish author. It's not translated to English yet and I don't see it being translated anytime soon as it is actually a hard text to read and even harder to translate I'd imagine.
>>
>>8461937
samefag here. Another recommendations. Latife Tekin. Pic. is her first novel. Lots of people compare it to One Hundred Years of Solitude because it uses magical realist style. I love the book and would reccomend it although I can't be sure if it would be as good as it is after translation. It heavily uses a certain dialect of Turkey common to central Anatolia. She uses a poetic style that could easily get lost in translation. Although she have always wrote novels she claims she actually writes poems.and not novels.
>>
>>8461937
>>8461878 here
>Memed, My Hawk
I know it's like May-med and it's just a name but damn that's great

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm learning Turkish and I'm glad to have some /lit/ recs when I'm better at it.
>>
>>8462006
last one. Abasıyanık is one of the first modern short story writers of Turkey. He is also one of the first to write about individuals rather than the whole society. Early Turkish prose is almost completely about the cultural crisis of the whole society and the authors idea about how to solve it. Abasıyanık was a pioneer in that aspect and he was a pretty great short story writer. Again I can't vouch for the translation or the selection of stories.
>>
>>8462022
Rica ederim.
>>
>>8462022
Learning Turkish wouldn't help you getting over it's literature in the short run. You might want to learn German if you want a quicker solution since many of the Turkish authors has decided to publish their books in German in 70's and 80's.
>>
>>8461878
Yeah, I would say that's apt, besides the fact that Tutunamayanlar is easier

>>8461937
Yeah it's tough to translate but there's a Dutch translation so we can cross our fingers. Apparently there's a full translation out there, but I'm working on one as well

Besides Oguz Atay, some essentials are:

>Nazim Hikmet
>Yasar Kemal
>Aziz Nesin
>>
>>8461878
Yeah, Tehlikeli Oyunlar is also Dubliners.

>>8461937
>bilge karasu
>being on any rec list
Uhh, no.
>>
>>8462269
>Tehlikeli Oyunlar is Dubliners
I'm guessing you haven't read one of these books.
>>
>>8462282
I was just saying that comparing to one author to another is kinda silly when it comes down to Atay and Joyce. They're exactly different than each other both in narrative and style. You shouldn't have to take it seriously, it was a cynical post.
>>
>>8462229
What do you mean, it won't help me get over?
>>
>>8462346
Turkish literature is quite hard to understand even for Turkish people. So you have to know more than Turkish to get the gist. For example Tutunamayanlar has a shitton of post war Turkey references which makes the novel completely convoluted even if you if you mistook a single reference.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.