[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this at least a decent read? I need to cool down from all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Is this at least a decent read? I need to cool down from all the more serious reading I've done for my English major studies, so I am looking for something light and entertaining.

I know it's genre, but are the historical fiction and alternate history elements worth it?

>inb4 >>>/sffg/
I want a more general opinion from the whole board.
>>
It's good, surprisingly a pretty slow read especially given the genre, but the last section in particular is really nice. If these are the kinds of books (magic faggotry) you like, go ahead, it's worth
>>
>>8460494
I can't say for this, but for light, entertaining, but still decent or even good, look to Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, Elric of Melbourne, Amber Chronicle and probably the best in the bunch, Dying Earth.
All of these are fast and except Amber, are short stories or novellas you can stop reading after 200 pages, instead of 800 that Jonathan Strange.
The general has shit opinions for the most part, stay clear
>>
I love it when a book creates a world without showing (prime example of a book created purely for showing: Ringworld), and Jonathan Strange weaves this huge net of a world by using hundreds of footnotes, it's great fun
>>
>>8460567
>footnotes
That's got me more interested.
>>8460518
>magic faggotry
I haven't even read Harry Potter. I'm not into magic faggotry in itself or for its sake only, but I'd be willing to try and get over it if the rest of the book is good.
>>8460532
Thanks for the recs.
>>
>>8460701
The footnotes cite and quote from a large amount of fake literature, it's pretty cool, reminds me a bit of what Borges did with his literary forgeries
>>
It's incredibly slow, dull, and poorly written. I'd be surprised if it was able to get published at any time other than the Harry Potter boom.
>>
>>8460494
Only pussies cool down from reading. Man the fuck up & get back to those Greeks.
>>
>>8460742
For some reason the last semester drained me and the exams started to feel troublesome nowadays. I might've got lazy a bit. I'll go back to the Greeks in a month.

>>8460735
Well, you're the second one who's said it's slow in this thread, so I'll have that on mind.
>>
How's the TV adaptation?
>>
>>8460935
Good question, I have no interest in the book, but mediocre novels most often make for decent tv series.
>>
>>8460935
Pretty poor, it overlooks the British peculiarities that made the novel interesting and focuses only on the fantasy spectacle side of things.
>>
>>8460902
>slow
It's a regency setting in period prose. The patient, indirect, elliptical way in which it unfolds is a feature, not a bug.
>>
>>8460494
It's a blast, especially the postmodern footnotes from hell.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.