[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In this thread, post books that: 1. Are of exceptional quality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: aran islands.jpg (107KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
aran islands.jpg
107KB, 570x760px
In this thread, post books that:

1. Are of exceptional quality

2. users on this board have probably never heard of

pic related
>>
>>8456318
what makes it exceptional OP? sell it
>>
>>8456319
The prose

Now post a book
>>
>>8456325
guess it's another pseud thread oh well
>>
>>8456318
>Claims to be posting book no one has heard of on this board.
>probably half a dozen references to OPs book in Ulysses.
I see what you did there.
>>
>>8456318

Mine is very similar to OP's:
>a travel journal
>by a first half of the 20th century Anglo author famed for other works
>sweet, luscious, effortless, dreamy prose
>no plot
>'real' events, places and people
>very comfy, relaxing, intimate
>I seem to be its only fan on this board, though it was here that I heard about it a long time ago

I really should get to reading more Durrell. I've so much to go through before I can get to him again though. One day I will finish starting with the Greeks and then...
>>
>>8456318
Nice tablecloth, OP.
>>
File: zem zem.jpg (278KB, 632x1024px) Image search: [Google]
zem zem.jpg
278KB, 632x1024px
Comfy account of a young officer who deserts from the camouflage division to become a tank commander and see real action.

The sort of pleasantness of the story becomes tragic when he unwittingly predicts his own death, at the age of 24 for Christ's sake. He wrote this book when he was younger than me, it's heartbreaking.

Near the end of the book he worries about the increasing danger of artillery to tank regiments. A few days after the Normandy landings Douglas was killed in a mortar barrage.

He was also a poet. TS Eliot described his work as "promising."
>>
>>8456362
I've never read ulysses
>>
>>8456318
I've just finished reading Synge plays and loved them. What did you like about this book? How does it compare to his theatre?
>>
>>8457505
the narrative is a comfy journey that is extremely memorable. The prose kind of reminds me of The Peregrine for some reason. As if the author knew how to use words that would specifically have tons of connotation packed in them just for me.
>>
File: 12279.jpg (24KB, 292x475px) Image search: [Google]
12279.jpg
24KB, 292x475px
>>8456318
Not exactly an unknown book by any means, but it seems the demographic here on /lit/ seldom mentions it. Beckett's prose, though a bit too obtuse and abstract at times, is virtually unmatched, and the pervasive theme of separation from self is one of the best in literature. It's a bit unapproachable (I'd probably put it above IJ/GR on the difficulty scale, likely on par or slightly more difficult than Ulysses) but overall worth it.
>>
>>8457537
Not I is better
>>
>>8456318
This is a very good book but I think Synge's plays are better to watch/read. Have you read any Sean O' Casey?

Nobody on here seems to mention Garshin who wrote very good short stories and who was praised by Tolstoy; nobody really talks about Krzhizhanovksy either although I have seen The Letter-Killers Club mentioned occasionally.

Eça de Queiroz is good as well, I especially enjoyed Tragedy of the Street of Flowers although it is apparently unfinished.

Wyndham Lewis is a writer who isn't often mentioned despite the fact that he would be well liked by lots of people on this board. Whilst I myself don't particularly care for him I would suggest that people read his book "Tarr".
>>
>>8457537
>/lit/ seldom mentions it
Not really
>>
>>8457573
I've read his Dublin plays and got his autobiography. (haven't read yet)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.