[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mystery and Detective Fiction Recomendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1563089246.jpg (42KB, 317x500px) Image search: [Google]
1563089246.jpg
42KB, 317x500px
So I like to get back into mystery and detective fiction. I remember enjoying those books as a kid (I read those that were written for children of course) but lost touch with the written stories (watched CSI and L&O on TV) as the years past. But I feel lost whenever I enter the mystery section of the bookstore. Everything looks the same, I can't tell the wheat from the chaff. There's the Sherlock Holmes stories, of course, but I've already got the complete novels and short stories. Are the Raymond Chandler novels any good?

Does anybody have recommendations, some places to start?
>>
>>8456251
In the Cafe of Lost Youth, Missing Person, After the Circus
>>
the deadly percheron
>>
Raymond Chandler is great, pretty much the defining noir writer (start with the Big Sleep) and you should get hold of some Dashiell Hammett too. The Maltese Falcon is proto-Chandler in form, atmosphere and tone, and Red Harvest is his best IMHO.
>>
Philip Karr writes great noir
>>
Derek Raymond "The Factory" series
>>
>>8456251
Start with Chandler and Hammett as >>8456499 recommends. They're the main seminal mystery writers that many others still continue to rip off. After that, read The Chill by Ross Macdonald, and The Wrong Case and The Last Good Kiss by James Crumley - they're a couple of the best writers that followed in the Hammett/Chandler tradition.

If you're after mysteries that are more soft-boiled, try Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books. If you want to try something more hard-boiled, try James Ellroy's L.A. Quartet. If you're into something weirder, try >>8456264 - John Franklin Bardin's best-known book. For something more 'literary' but using a mystery framework, Patrick Modiano (recommended here >>8456262) is good.

There's also a lot of other crime fiction outside of the mystery subgenre, focused on the criminals themselves. For this subgenre, start with James M. Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity, which are the progenitors of many books that followed.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.