[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Paradise Lost better than the Divine Comedy? Just finished

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: paradise_lost84.jpg (228KB, 648x800px) Image search: [Google]
paradise_lost84.jpg
228KB, 648x800px
Is Paradise Lost better than the Divine Comedy? Just finished the third book and it's fucking beautiful. If Milton maintains verses like his stanza on blindness all the way to the end then I think I've found my new favorite epic.
>>
The answer is of course no.
PL is mostly read in anglo circles while Comedy has such a degree of universality that it has had a far greater influence and touches more people.
>>
they're both good you dip literature isnt a competition you autistic fuck
>>
>>8454625
I dunno anon, the story of Paradise Lost seems a lot more universal and moving than a dainty Italian mamma-miaing his way through hell
>>
File: AngloEyes.jpg (769KB, 3045x1170px) Image search: [Google]
AngloEyes.jpg
769KB, 3045x1170px
>>8454611
I preferred Paradise Lost by far. I keep coming back to it and reading Satan's oration in book 1. His character is very interesting in PL, as well as the history of interpretation of Milton's Satan by readers.

The most satisfying explanation of him that I have heard is that Milton is writing him heroically to seduce the reader as an allegory for the way that sin and rebellion against God seduces mankind irl.
>>
>>8454611
>Is Paradise Lost better than the Divine Comedy?
This is a pointless question
>>
>>8454636
This
>>
I would imagine that paradise lost is better if you are a native english speaker but the divine comedy is better if you are a native italian speaker. I dont think you can accurately compare the two unless you can raed both in their language.
>>
File: 1418707136384.png (84KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
1418707136384.png
84KB, 252x200px
>>8454636
>dainty Italian mamma-miaing his way through hell
>>
>>8454611
epic
>>
>>8454636
>implying everyone hasn't played Super Mario Bros 3
>>
>>8456330
Literally every Italian that isn't a nigger should be able to read English, so I imagine plenty of people can do it.
I myself I'm a native Spanish speaker that studied Italian and find both works beautiful. Of course Dante is more relevant, and I prefer reading his work over Milton's, but you can't just say 'this is one better'. At least I can't. It's not like I'm comparing Milton and John Green or something like that.
>>
>>8454611
>Is Paradise Lost better than the Divine Comedy?
HAHAHAHAHAHAH no.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.