[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proust translations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Marcel_Proust_1900-2.jpg (68KB, 215x321px) Image search: [Google]
Marcel_Proust_1900-2.jpg
68KB, 215x321px
What is the best translation of In Search of Lost Time (or RoTP if you prefer)
>>
>>8454159
I'm reading the edited Montcrieff translation recently published by Yale. It has minor corrections made to the original Montcrieff but it doesn't differ much. There are supplementary notes on most pages that are usually historical, biographical, or point out major themes, but I've found most of these to be distracting and unnecessary to the enjoyment/comprehension of the work.

Honestly just go to whatever library/bookstore where you live that has multiple translations and compare passages for yourself to see which one has what you're looking for. It's pretty obvious, when you compare them side by side, to what degree authors translate for simplicity, accuracy, style, etc. So put in the effort and make an intelligent choice for yourself. If you're going to read Proust I assume you're more than capable of doing that.
>>
>>8454159
montcrieff - do not do lydia davis no matter what these memers say
>>
Lydia Davis translation is more readable and accurate. i've read both versions
>>
File: marcel-proust-volume1.jpg (94KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
marcel-proust-volume1.jpg
94KB, 400x600px
Hey guys,yesterday I bought the fugitive for like 5 bucks but I didn't know it was part of RoTP(I thought that if it was a part of it,it would be written on the cover).
Sad thing is, the other volumes aren't a part of this collection so this edition is gonna look with the rest if I ever buy than together.
So,can I read it or should I start at the first volume?Or at the fifth volume?
Also,what are your favorites volumes?I heard the first and fourth are really good.
>>
>>8454347
What's wrong with Lydia Davis?

Are there other translations I should compare beside Davis and Montcrieff? I only ever see these two mentioned.
>>
>>8454477
The last volume is the best one, by far.
>>
I cannot emphasis enough the superiority of the original Scott-Moncreiff. Or, since it can be hard to find, the Kilmartin revision. The Penguin multitranslator approach is beyond retarded and only demonstrates their total lack of genuine appreciation for the novel.
>>
>>8454159
Also, be careful. This is the last masterpiece of the 20th century not ruined by this piece-of-shit 4chan board.
>>
>>8454579
Ah, but it's never too late, non ami. So, what are some funny/cringey passages/scenes/characters that we can memefy?
>>
>>8454579
And it will never will.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.