[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anton Chekhov - The Horse Stealers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Chekhov_1898_by_Osip_Braz.jpg (914KB, 1200x1539px) Image search: [Google]
Chekhov_1898_by_Osip_Braz.jpg
914KB, 1200x1539px
So I recently got into Chekhov, reading his short stories and last night I read The Horse Stealers. Now what I don't understand is the relationship between Merik and Lyubka. In short, Merik is a horse thief who tells Lyubka, straight in the face, that if he finds her mother's treasure that he'll kill both of them and set the house on fire making it look like an accident. Yergunov hears this (and does.. nothing?) and [SPOILER] the story ends with Yergunov seeing the house ablaze... Why would Lyubka then be so slutty towards Merik, why would noone report it to the police or whatever, what did I miss? As I said, really new to his works so yeah, halp?
>>
>posting an actual /lit/ question on 4chan's /lit/
>>
>>8453886
merik was a kind of dark triad guy, I'm not even memeing, she was mesmerized by him. That thing he said to her was kinda flirting, he was saying it in the way you would be left guessing whether he's being serious or not, which is thrilling (also notice her reaction to this violent threat - she asks what's it like living in Kuban - she has a very romanticised view of his life and travels while she probably never been anywhere but a few local villages herself). So she helped the thief steal the horse of a boring square guy just to be a part of something thrilling.

About the police - in the story itself you can read about an instance of the locals preferring taking justice into their own hands (by throwing Merik into an ice-hole and beating him up) to invoking the authorities. I don't know - probably because of the lack of trust or they considered it more trouble than just gathering together and fucking the thief up, maybe thinking it would be a good enough lesson. Although if the fire involved an actual murder like Yergunov believes it to, it most certainly would be handled by the authorities
>>
>>8454638

I'm not even OP but damn, that's a nice answer.
>>
>>8454650
Thanks!
>>
>>8454638
OP here, I thought of something similar like that but damn, like this other Anon said, nice answer, thank you!
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.