[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it bad to write with archaic words? Do you use any in your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 090108-neanderthal-vmed_widec.jpg (17KB, 298x393px) Image search: [Google]
090108-neanderthal-vmed_widec.jpg
17KB, 298x393px
Is it bad to write with archaic words? Do you use any in your writing?

Like saying "host" instead of "army" for example?

Particularly referring to poetry, but share your input regarding everything.

Archaic words general.
>>
Not if you have a specific reason to use the word
>>
>>8453326
What if its an aesthetic reason?

I dont mean just using it to have a more varied vocabulary but because it better fits the theme of the poem?
>>
Context and intent.

If you're talking about say, a Saxon fyrd gathering to war then "Host" would be a thematically and dramatically appropriate word.

On the other hand, if you use it on say, a contingent of Navy Seals then you archaize them, which might be intentional or might be tonally inappropriate for the work.

And also there's a fair bit of personal taste involved.

No words are inherently bad, I advise you to treat cruelly anyone who claims otherwise; they're either an idiot or an idiot who's trying to bait you.
>>
>>8453331
That is a specific reason to use the word.
>>
>>8453331
'aesthetic reason' doesn't exist
>>
>>8453333
>>8453326
I see, thanks a lot

>>8453336
what do you mean
>>
>>8453352
he doesnt mean anything, he's probably a stupid faggot.
>>
>>8453317
I published my thesis with archaic words and regret it. it reeks of autism and pedantry
>>
>>8453333 Quads of truth. That said, you should also take into account the audience you're writing for. If you're writing for normies, there's a fair chance they won't have any idea what you're talking about when you use any word more complicated than what they learned in middle school.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.