[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I read this ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1467218222673.jpg (99KB, 422x589px) Image search: [Google]
1467218222673.jpg
99KB, 422x589px
I know it's considered to be a terrible book on this board, and I don't really have much interest in it, but everybody talks about it so much—both negatively and positively—that I feel obligated to read it myself. My pleb friend said that it's the best book of the 20th century and I'd kind of like to read it just so I can insult his taste more thoroughly. Is it worth it ?
>>
I felt exactly like you. I read it a few weeks ago and it wasn't really worth it, but I can talk about it now.
>>
I doubt there is a single library in America that doesn't have at least one foul smelling, dog eared, underlined, crack spined copy of this book. Go forth, Anon. Venture out onto the sidewalk, and find a copy of this most essential book, (or buy a digital copy so you don't have get up) and then you too can join in the eternal debate: was it shit or no?
>>
>>8452466
While you're pleb friend sounds like they have a tendency for exaggeration, I thought it was really solid.
>>
It's a good book and the molestation theory/meme is amusing.
>>
>>8452487
Well he literally does not read for pleasure ever (and doesn't even pretend to), so I don't trust his opinion on literature.
>>
>>8452504
I think he might not be the only pleb.
>>
>>8452518
Why's that ?
>>
Not really as good as your friend makes it out to be but its still a good read, unless you're a normie because then you'll just hate the book because the protagonist calls out on normie bullshit
>>
It works for like a second toward the end when you're like "ooh woow lost innocence" and "I'll never grow up. I'll never be a phony. That was me once." Besides that you just wanna get through it desu.
>>
>>8452522
Because of your judgement about he "never reading for pleasure".
>>
File: 1468573310924.jpg (31KB, 220x322px) Image search: [Google]
1468573310924.jpg
31KB, 220x322px
>>8452529
Can't be as big of a revelation as the end of this book, can it ?
>>
>>8452540
I haven't read that book.
>>
>>8452539
No, he literally told me that. I asked him what kind of stuff he reads for pleasure and his answer was, "I don't read for pleasure." I'm not making this up.

>>8452542
You should. It changed my perspective on life.
>>
>>8452529
It took you till the end to get that? That's like the whole fuggin book, dude
>>
I liked it, definitely worth reading. It's pretty short, you can finish it in 5 hours
>>
>>8452548
Well don't find out that he's been molested before until toward the end. And THE CATCHER IN THE RYE dream scene, which is also toward the end, really Is the metaphor that explains Holden as a character.
>>
>>8452567
Holden wasn't molested. Salinger often explores expressions of connection between adults and children and they haven't had any sort of sexual nature to them that I've ever read.

You should read the book. It's a war novel without the war and deals with depression, PTSD, and being isolated after witnessing tragic events in life. The book is short and shouldn't go unread. I would also suggest to read A Perfect Day for Bananafish if you're wanting to read the authors style. Some parts of Cather in the Rye are short story-esque elements, too, so the chapters can have some satisfying starts and ends.
>>
>>8452466
>I know it's considered to be a terrible book on this board
No...? It is considered the quintessential pleb-filter, unless something has changed in the last year
>>
>>8452757
Many say how much they hate the book. It's a great novel. A vocal part of /lit/ likes to be contrarian and only embraces the pointless meanderings of authors who describe blow jobs and cocaine binges in depth.

A Catcher in the Rye is an easy and worthwhile read. It isn't going to change your life but it's an honest expression of Salinger both as a kid and how he is after the war.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.