[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

where do I start with him /lit/? What are his best books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: O_OscarDelPozo_Mishima_6.jpg (832KB, 1074x1200px) Image search: [Google]
O_OscarDelPozo_Mishima_6.jpg
832KB, 1074x1200px
where do I start with him /lit/? What are his best books?
>>
>>8449449
The first two books of his Sea of Fertility saga are definitely his best works, but not a particularly good place to start.

I'd recommend Temple of the Golden Pavilion as a start, then Confessions of a Mask. The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea is one of his more known books, but not really one of his best. Read it if you like everything else.

Patriotism is pretty good too, and can be easily read in one sitting.

If you're really into the his homo aspects, read Forbidden Colors.
>>
>>8449453
>Sea of Fertility saga
why do you say this is isn't the best place to start anon?
>>
Sailor who fell from Grace with the Sea. The John Nathan translation.
>>
>>8449449
Head to the local gay bar, then you'll be ready for any of his books.
>>
Start with going to bareback parties.
>>
>>8449470
Because the last book is literally his suicide note, and a repudiation of everything he finds worthwhile and good in all the rest of his work, to say nothing of the earlier novels in the series.
>>
>>8450057
Well, thank you.
>>
>>8449449
You'll know whether or not you like him after you read Death in Midsummer.
>>
File: Reader-is-sexy04.jpg (27KB, 497x750px) Image search: [Google]
Reader-is-sexy04.jpg
27KB, 497x750px
>>8449449
My introduction was Spring Snow, the first of the Sea of Fertility trilogy. Read a translation (sadly, I know little Japanese), but the language was still quite beautiful and the story captivating.

One of my favorite passages is his description of a first kiss between two of the main characters. It's a short paragraph, but so perfectly captures that singular moment.
>>
>>8450057
It isn't a suicide note. I get why you think this but Isao merely represented his ideal young person (just like Kyoaki). His suicide note is yukoku.

Sea of Fertility is a bad place to start because Mishima (for reasons that make sense) goes into intense and for many people exhausting amount of scenery description, which may be a bit too much for a first time reader who is still figuring out if this author clicks with him or not.

Though i believe that there isn't an optimal starting point with an author and that readers in general aren't retards and can start with whatever intriguies them thematically the most, i would recommend to start with Confessions of a mask. Like say the Untimely Meditatons with Nietzsche, it is the central youth work of this author, which contains almost all of the themes that he will later explore in his other works.

People often recommend The Sailor... but just like The temple of the golden pavillon, it in some way represents a stylistic extreme of Mishima. Both are accessible and easy to get into but still stand out from the rest of his work.

That being said: Just start with any of his big books. It could also be Thirst for Love or Patriotism or whatever, aside from the Sea of Fertility they are all unconnected novels.
>>
Best translation?
>>
>>8449453
This anon is correct.
>>
>>8452093
Thanks anon.
Regarding translations, I see Vintage has some his works. How are these translations? And what's the recommended one for Confessions of a Mask?
>>
I did Sun and Steel, then Sail Who Fell, then Golden Pavillon, then the Sea of Fertility in order. You could skip Golden Pavillon, but otherwise this is a good way to do it
>>
John Nathan's biography of mishima is worth reading. Nathan translated "sailor who fell from grace with the sea" and personally knew mishima.
That bio also gives a few summaries of his books
>>
I bought Spring Snow from my local used bookstore. Is this an okay place to start?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.