[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is robinson crusoe good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: crusoe.jpg (316KB, 1600x1112px) Image search: [Google]
crusoe.jpg
316KB, 1600x1112px
is robinson crusoe good?
>>
It's honestly kind of boring. IMO it only gets the recognition it does for being one of the earliest English novels.
>>
>>8448852
The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates.
>>
>>8448852
A big wave a-pitching a little cove
>>
I loved it as a kid in the 80s, a time when I also read Jules Verne and other Adventurer/Explorer Stuff mostly.
>>
> shipwrecked
> strips naked
> swims out to the ship
> fills his pockets with supplies
> swims back to shore

one or two minor continuity errors.
>>
>>8449644
It never explicitly says he strips completely naked, he might have still been wearing his breeches or trousers and just went shirtless. Wish people would stop repeating this myth.
>>
>>8448852
yes it is anon. it's very good.
>>
>>8448852
English bourgeois masturbation material.
>>
File: Old Man Butt of the Sea.jpg (48KB, 337x499px) Image search: [Google]
Old Man Butt of the Sea.jpg
48KB, 337x499px
>>8448852

I don't like the prose. I find it very dull to read.

The concept of a man being left alone and working nonstop to improve his condition for objectively no reason strains my credulity. However after reading "An Island to Oneself" by Tom Neale, I conclude that such beings exist although Neale was apparently an irascible coot who deserted his wife and children.

>>8449247

The conventional marketing blurbs by other authors and critics seem rather tame by comparison.
>>
>>8448852
It's decent. \Staw away from part 2. Don't ask. Ignore religious ramblings. They are silly. Capital S. Otherwise not bad.
>>
>>8451034
>Objectively no reason.
He does have a reason, he was basically trying to survive and live comfortably. What would be realistic to you? Lay in the sand and slowly dehydrate to death because life is meaningless?
>>
>>8448852

It doesn't stand up any more. It definitely reads like something as old as it is. Also the amount of time and energy and detail Crusoe expends on building up his residence is ludicrous.
>>
>>8451046

Once he has food and shelter, the immediate driving force has been lifted. Then you are free to contemplate your prospects, alone on this island. I don't think my next approach would be, golly gee, I had better see just how many industrial age products I can produce using my own ingenuity. As I said though, these people apparently do exist--I just don't understand them.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.