[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What 5 works of literature should a young man read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

File: 1463021799708.jpg (95KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
1463021799708.jpg
95KB, 337x367px
What 5 works of literature should a young man read?
>>
the bible, don quixote , the odyssey, the illiad, macbeth
>>
Finnegans Wake
Nothing else matters anymore.
>>
>>8447666
Don't know. I know which had the greatest impact on me
Book of the New Sun
Sickness Onto Death
The Brothers Karamazov
Orthodoxy
The Republic
>>
>religion fags everywhere
>>
Frankenstein, Dracula, Dubliners, A Tale of Two Cities and 1984

Other works I'd also recommend reading (though admittedly not all fictional) include A Brave New World, Pearl (14th century Middle English poem), Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Don Juan, The Book of Ecclesiastes, the Song of Songs, Doctor Faustus, The Odyssey, Beowulf, The Road To Wigan Pier and Confessions of an English Opium-Eater
>>
>>8447666
'On Women' by Schopenhauer
Mein Kampf
The Moral Landscape
My Twisted World
Native Son
>>
The Odyssey, The Bible, Don Quixote, complete Shakespeare, Infinite Jest
>>
>>8447799
CHECK EM
>>
File: 1463907268029.jpg (460KB, 1209x756px) Image search: [Google]
1463907268029.jpg
460KB, 1209x756px
>>8447796

/tips katana
>>
Paradise Lost
The Odyssey, Iliad
Crime and Punishment
Moby Dick
Blood Meridian
>>
>>8447666
One of Fahrenheit 451/Brave New World/1984. Contemporary dystopias to make young people aware of the pitfalls of authority and popularism

Homer's Odyssey. It's more interesting than Iliad IMO, broader thematically, about mature themes of coming of age (Odysseus' son), and duty. Also included as a gateway to the Greeks.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. A book to make young people think about the responsibilities of science and of having knowledge, as well as an example of the Gothic and Romantic aesthetic.

Wordsworth & Coleridge - Lyrical ballads. A volume of fairly well known Romantic poetry (Kubla Kahn, Tintern Abbey, etc) reflecting on love and nature.

Shakespeare's Macbeth. A cautionary tale about ambition. Also quite short and a gateway to other works for those who are interested.
>>
Jules Valles
- The Child
Celine
-Death on Credit
Blaise Cendrars
-The Astonished Man
Stendhal
- The Life of Henry Brulard
The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh
>>
Animal Farm
The Gospel According to Jesus Christ
Siddhartha
Harry Potter and The Methods of Rationality
>>
>>8447860
Yeahh, filtered
>>
>>8447860
Nicely put. It would be presumptuous to post my suggestions after reading this.
>>
File: 1455902961091.png (325KB, 667x670px) Image search: [Google]
1455902961091.png
325KB, 667x670px
>>8447666

Dandelion Vine (not vine)
Oblomov
Beware of Pity
Les Misérables
A Hero of Our Time

If those don't speak to you it's ok. Start pleb, end patrician.
>>
File: 1417961736329.jpg (28KB, 280x412px) Image search: [Google]
1417961736329.jpg
28KB, 280x412px
>>8447702

>young man reading
>The Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>8447913
Most people I know read it around the age of 18.
You can revisit it later on.
>>
>>8447880
Everytime.
>>
Romeo & Juliet, and, Sorrows of Young Werther - how not to be a young man, i.e. beware the romance meme. You only need to read these once and reflect on how pathetic Romeo and Werther are.

The Aeneid - piety, honour, virtue, literally every noble sentiment. Don't just read this memorise it. Learn Latin.

Don Quixote - best moral tale, beautiful allegory, most interesting novel; read so can understand the difference between having right ideals and having a false idealism.

The New Testament - for saving your soul

honestly, memorising the Aeneid is probably a better literary training/experience than blasting through the top 50 poems/plays/novels. Memorising makes the whole experience a thousand times more vivid, because the words are already there in your imagination before you speak them, you can practically hallucinate the scenes of the poem; whereas merely reading a novel leaves you with vague impressions / reminiscences.

>>8447860
>Romantic poetry
let's be honest lad, it's gay shit that should not be given to young men lest it corrupt them with its drug-induced fantasies, preposterous emotions
>>
>>8447799
Trip dubs wins
>>
File: 1471491759158.jpg (46KB, 568x479px)
1471491759158.jpg
46KB, 568x479px
>>8447686
>>8447799
>the bible
>>
>>8447799
checked
>>
File: 1437701663392.gif (888KB, 450x252px) Image search: [Google]
1437701663392.gif
888KB, 450x252px
My father used to refer to my brother constantly as an 'angry young man' a lot when we were growing up. What is essential reading for an angry young man?
>>
>>8448774
What's the cause of the anger? Do they want a solution to the problem or a way of dealing with it? Do they want a hard solution or an easy solution? Do they care if the solution is futile?
>>
>>8448437
it's at least fun fiction and it has historic importance . don't be a faggot
>>
>>8448437
Do you plan on staying here a while?

>>8448774
The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching.
>>
>>8448813
More than that, it contains the archetypes and meaning-structures that determine the way we think.
>>
>>8448774
>What is essential reading for an angry young man?
The Catcher in the Rye
The Hunger Games
God is not Great
The God Delusion
Letter to a Christian Nation
>>
>>8447860

Farenheit 451 was the greatest piece of trash I have ever read. LIterally nothing was gained from reading it.

>No depth.
>Shitty plot.
>Basic.
>YA-tier vocabulary.
>Linear as fuck.
>>
>>8448437
>Mocks The Bible
>Mocks trips dubs

GET

THE

FUCKIN

FUCK

OUT

OF

HERE

MOTHERFUCKING

NEWFAG
E
W
F
A
G
>>
>>8448813
Have you actually read the bible? It's mega boring lmao. Honestly just go to church and let the priests tell you about it..
>>
>>8450554
This might be bait but I seriously have to ask: Are your retarded? Even if you are an atheist, you should have some familiarity with the Bible for its impact on western literature, just as Christianity has had its impact on western thought. Also,
>Honestly just go to church and let the priests tell you about it..
This isn't how church works. There is a point where the priest may read from the scriptures and explain it, but this can also be done at home with the internet. If you don't want to learn anything about the bible, fine. But don't disregard it in such a childish, ignorant way.
>>
>>8450567
>le bible meme

seriously fuck off back to whatever psudeo religious fanatic board you came from.
Religion is childish
>>
>>8451054
Calling religion childish is more of a childish behavior desu
>>
Literally nothing is a must read.
>>
>>8450554
Yeah if you started genesis it's hard to get through. Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are absolutely mind numbing.

I usually recommend people start with the gospels and then read back if they want.
>>
>>8448774
To the lighthouse
>>
>>8451072
Calling calling religion childish more of a childish behavior is more of a childish behavior desu
>>
>>8447666
Probably some Dr.Suess books
>>
>>8450531
This is good meta bait, but I prefer our childrens suggested reading to actually be mein kampf and related fascist wankery. Anything that fetishizes national identity should be taught to kids.
>>
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Martin Eden.
>>
Robinson Crusoe
Tom Sawyer (if American)
Lord of the Flies
Beowulf
The New Testament with an emphasis on the Epistles of Paul
>>
>>8447702
You cheeky croat
>>
File: Pinky_Ivan.png (38KB, 511x258px) Image search: [Google]
Pinky_Ivan.png
38KB, 511x258px
>>8451302
>>
>>8451054
>Religion is childish
That's just like, your opinion man. But calling The Bible a meme in /lit/ is completely retarded. Even if you're the angriest of new atheists. The Bible is a collection of books, and some of them are literary masterpieces, and the whole is the most influential text in history of mankind. By coming to a literary board, which coincidentally is one of the few that has some quality content in 4chan, and calling The Bible a "meme" you show yourself to be a retarded mongoloid PLEB.

You are the one that should fuck off to motherfucking Reddit or whatever PSEUDO plebian board you came from. Or better yet, learn to read, and then come back and join us.
>>
Infinite Jest
Infinite Jest
Infinite Jest
Infinite Jest
Infinite Jest
>>
>>8451451
Its not even good
>>
>>8447686
when you say "the bible," aby specific books? I have no interest in slogging through the book of numbers.
>>
>>8447860

I agree on the first set only , although their respectful themes differ greatly from the today where we're digging our own hole by assuming the fake identity of class influenced styles which are periodically pushed upon us. It's a nice foundation for provoking thoughts of authority as long as you stay rational (m-m-muh illuminati).

Odyssey - wouldn't recommend greeks until later.

Macbeth (Othello, Hamlet, King Lear) is a great read as well but unfortunately, it is ONLY that .

What I would recommend are books relatively easy to read and digest :

Anna Karenina (also Madame Bovary - if you're into cucking) - while a long read , it will teach you in great detail that all women are whores at their core and WILL leave you for younger , more ripped and more mysterious version of your boring self no matter how influential you may be . ( Also , communism is bad and you're far better off with worker's"mind and capitalist's mindset - your mileage may vary though)

Marcus Aurelius , Meditations - In may not be an easiest read , but as long as you read it open minded (memes aside) you will find at least one corellation with your life and may or may not help you at finding out how to deal with decisions and/or how to form your opinions overall.

Robinson Crusoe - One of my favorite books . Unless you insist starting with greeks, read this one first as it is going to teach you to create that inner picture of any book in your mind due to its almost perfect yet simple narration .

F. Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Nietzsche is not my favorite writer , exactly the opposite in fact , he's a weird fucker . That being said , the aforementioned read is kind of optional but may or may not give you a vague overview on how to become the next hitler youth type of guy . Also , check out Zoroastrizm since it's probably the only bullshit free religion left on this earth.

Alber Camus, The Stranger - short , simple , depressing . You will be loving it.

Also : Candide by Voltaire, Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio, The Complete Stories of Franz Kafka, For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway, The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky are also solid reads. ( I'm a slavblood so yeah , Russia )

Tl;dr

Women will cuck you , go gay son .
>>
>>8447988
This is a great post, I've read everything there except The Aeneid, I'll start reading it soon.
Are you religious?
>>
>>8447760
>pearl
>Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
>Beowulf

Just pick one of these, and then read Tennyson's Idylls of the King
>>
>boyscouts handbook
>master gardeners handbook
>Chilton repair manual
>one of those how it works/how its made books
>karma sutra
>>
File: 1472215449245.jpg (150KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472215449245.jpg
150KB, 1280x720px
>>8452666
Genesis, ecclesiasties, the gospels, acts, Hebrews, Tim, and revelation.
Also watch the ten commandments or the Disney version of the moses story, the passion of the Christ, Oshii's Angel's Egg, and listen to a Sufjan Stevens christmas album.
>>
>>8452680

>Nietzsche
>he's a weird fucker

you post the most banal bullshit. just go back to /pol/. you can't even communicate on a basic level without dropping constant meme words.
>>
File: 1452205103591.jpg (359KB, 1600x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1452205103591.jpg
359KB, 1600x1050px
>mfw plebs in this thread blog about reading books "for moral instruction"

Divine kek.

As I Lay Dying.
Bits and pieces of the Gospels.
Moby Dick. Kids should at least read an abridged version.
Hamlet.
And one famous piece of literature from your own country to round out the list.
>>
>>8453561
>Preparing for Adolescents

That should be on the list too
>>
>>8447895
A Hero of our time? Care to explain why you recommend that?
>>
>Iliad
>Odyssey
>Oedipus the King
>Parzival
>Don Quixote
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.