[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bullshit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: Freakonomics-Paperback-298x450.jpg (45KB, 298x450px) Image search: [Google]
Freakonomics-Paperback-298x450.jpg
45KB, 298x450px
>>
gr8 post op
>>
Quality post keep them coming
>>
Honestly pretty good and the podcast is quite enjoyable.

In the realm of popular pseudo-intellectual wankery, miles better than the likes of Malcolm Gladwell.
>>
>>8444397
What do you have against Gladwell?
>>
"Correlation = Causation: The Book"
>>
As an economist I hate this book, and most in my field seem to as well. Unfortunately it has lead to an increase in such silly popscience economical research. Young econ students come in and want to research about "fun things!!!" such as quirky correlations, rather than taking on the big (but tough) economical questions.
>>
No (See Betteridge's law)

OK but seriously it's shit.
>>
>>8444423
economics isnt worth studying if i cant figure out why crack addicts not being able to afford toilet paper causes the price of off-brand salt and vinegar chips to SKYROCKET

nice wasted education.
>>
>>8444432

"dude the housing bubble and 2008 stock market crash were caused by crack heads cant afford toilet paper lololol"
>>
>>8444402
>>8444397
Gladwell is not only full of shit but also a literal big pharma/tobacco industry shill

http://shameproject.com/report/malcolm-gladwell-unmasked-life-work-of-americas-most-successful-propagandist/

btw. apparently Freakonomics' Steven D. Levitt also happens to be in the shill business
>>
I suppose Fooled by Randomness si the anti Gladwell and these guys. Taleb's book is about how people / statisticians find patterns where there aren't necessarily any.
>>
>>8444402
Just finished Blink recently. Putting grating liberal quirks aside, he rambles on needlessly to fill pages and repeats the exact same assertions in various orders. The anecdotes were entertaining enough, but ultimately he repeated the same assertions (almost exactly) in various orders, and rambled on needlessly.
>>
>>8445177
berry naisu post
>>
>>8445177
Fucking meta lad.
>>
>>8444423

What do you and people in your field think about Capital by Thomas Pikkety? Does he have any groundbreaking insights to offer or was it just a hype?
>>
>>8446050

I was actually just trying to remember the name of that book, and the title.

It's one of the worst I've ever seen, thus far. You can just smell the Marxist ideological agenda seeping through every page. Not to mention that it's wrong or flat-out bullshit in so many places. I can't go into it here, it'd take too long.
>>
>>8446050

Not him but econ major. The data Pikkety collected was a good job, but the conclusions he draws about it are very much open for debate. Certainly they aren't "groundbreaking insights", and ofcourse the book was very, very overhyped by people who used it to push their ideologies.
>>
>>8446050
There are some factual/methodological errors but the overall conclusions are seriously discussed.

>>8446055
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>8446282

I'm hardly /pol/. Picketty was called out by the Economist and a whole host of others.
>>
>>8446286

He also never says why 'inequality' is a problem. It's just assumed, in that most typical of left wing fashions.
>>
>>8446282

This is one of the worst "go back to /pol/"s I have ever seen. Why do people like you value your ideology above truth?
>>
>>8446309
It's the other way around. Read his book for his conclusions, judge them for what they are. Don't dismiss it from the beginning for being being part of an ideology you don't agree with.
>>
File: basic economics.jpg (19KB, 316x499px)
basic economics.jpg
19KB, 316x499px
>>8444366
Read this instead.
>>
>>8446361

We all did? You're in fact the only one dismissing based on ideology with your "go back to /pol/"
>>
>it's an economists think they can explain everything because they know how to make fancy charts chapter
>>
>>8446286
The Economist praised the book's scholarship, as most financial writers did.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/05/economist-explains
They disagree with his conclusions and predictions, as economists tend to do with each other's work.

Get out of your /pol/ bubble where any criticism is an excuse to ignore someone's work.
>>
'Introduction of the pill lead to less violence roughly 16 years later. We're not allowed to say that that's the reason which it happened because no kind of serious research can come to a conclusion that way, but y'know, that was the reason! XD'

Gr8 book m8
>>
File: 4562353[1].jpg (19KB, 316x475px)
4562353[1].jpg
19KB, 316x475px
>>8446375

Read this instead
>>
>>8446055
Read the new book of based Varoufakis? Is he any good?
>>
>>8444366
It's an exploration of how incentives, the core of economics, lead to weird behavior in a number of cases not conventionally covered by economics. There is nothing wrong with that.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.