[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best translation of Beowulf by Anonymous? Thank you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: sincere.png (128KB, 352x335px) Image search: [Google]
sincere.png
128KB, 352x335px
What is the best translation of Beowulf by Anonymous? Thank you
>>
Hehehe hahaha nice.

PS I liked Heaney's (RIP)
>>
>argh I come from a foreign land, giveth thine women unto me
>not so fast essai we'really getting riggity wreck'd by this trollsquid
> aite famalam let me at it
>he ripped its arm off the absolute madman
>thine women, fair Dane?
>kek, try the bottom of the lame
>if you saith so, companion, though it is a strange place to storeth thine maidens
>my god, what is that abomination, I had best destroy it with this conveniently located magical ax
>beowulf has returned! he has killed the trollsquid's mother
>then he shall be king

Right here, OP.
>>
Tolkien
>>
Anybody read the translation by Christopher Tolkien's father? I was wondering how it compares to Heaney in quality. I've already read it in the original Old English.
>>
>>8444357
Memes aside, Heaney's is good. It also pairs it up with the original Olde/Middle English. So if you're a medieval studies major...
>>
> Came here to post Heaney's
> Posted twice
Not bad.

Also,
> not learning Old English solely for this
>>
File: 1468109110419.jpg (21KB, 320x320px)
1468109110419.jpg
21KB, 320x320px
>Anybody read the translation by Christopher Tolkien's father?
>>
>>8444399
>Christopher Tolkien's father
What kind of meme is this?
>>
>>8445624
anti-meme
>>
>>8444460
Yeah Heaney is the correct answer.
>>
>>8444354
The first time I read Beowulf was the Seamus Heaney translation but I'd say Tolken did it better
>>
>>8446555
Tolkien*
>>
File: default.jpg (157KB, 960x720px)
default.jpg
157KB, 960x720px
>>8444354
I'm not going to quote every anon, but so far Heaney and Tolkien are the recommended versions, and this is bad advice.

Concerning Heaney, there's a reason it's called Heaneywulf. Of course the only way to truly experience and read Beowulf (or any other work for that matter) would be to read it in Old English, but if you go with Heaney you're just putting more space between you and the real poem. It's highly inaccurate and misleading.

Do not go with Heaney. For further reading just use Google and read this:

http://people.umass.edu/sharris/in/e505s/ChickeringHeaneywulf.pdf

Now with Tolkien. The man himself despised his translation, hardly revised it and never thought about publication. The fact that someone is making money out of this today is disgusting.
Tolkien notes and research on Beowulf, being “Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics” the most relevant, are important to this day, but the translation itself is irrelevant.

Another point to consider is the fact that Old English is extremely distant from Modern English, and for this reason a verse translation (like Heaney's) isn't the best idea.

I myself prefer to at least get the message right with a good prose translation if the original one is written in verse. I don't care about the translator's poetry and accept the fact that I'm not going to enjoy Dante's masterful terza rima unless I learn Italian.

For good, accurate prose translations:
>Beowulf (Manchester Medieval Studies), translated by Michael Swanton
>Beowulf: A Prose Translation (Norton Critical Editions), translated by Talbot Donaldson
>>
>>8446858
I forgot to say that Swanton is the way to go if you want the original Old English with facing translation.
>>
>>8446858
>I myself prefer to at least get the message right with a good prose translation if the original one is written in verse
>reading for plot
>>
Swanton is the best, and it's not even close.

Heavney is the shitty translation everyone reads in undergrad courses
>>
>>8448148
Do you want to enjoy the Old English verse with a translation?
Use your head and stop repeating shit you read here. Don't you see how all the kids that did the same above ended up suggesting the wrong translation? The best you can do is get the story right. If you want more from Beowulf, learn Old English.

>>8448642
It's alarming how many people endorse that translation.
>>
>>8446858
>prose translation
ISHYGDDT
>>
File: image_8.jpg (49KB, 533x534px)
image_8.jpg
49KB, 533x534px
>>8448933
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.