[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most Informative Recount of the Snowden Affair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I am looking for a thorough account of Edward Snowden and his whistleblowing. Has /lit/ read Glenn Greenwald's "No Place to Hide" and is it what I should read, or is it a "first to market" botch job?

I'm skeptical that a reporter who didn't know what Tor was could write an essentially technical piece.
>>
>>8444318
Is there anything to know about tech? Snowden worked with spreadsheats... If anyone, then Greenwald would know whole story.

But really, I'd start with Dirty Wars and No Easy Day. Both very black/white on opposite sides, and not at all about Snowden, but they should help you see the picture more clearly.
>>
>>8444343

>If anyone, then Greenwald would know whole story.

Yes but whose story? Snowden's story, which is what I'm interested in or the story of the intrepid ace reporter who only needed several tries to get secure comms working? I don't really care about Greenwald's thoughts--he was just some guy who is only redpilled now because Snowden basically forced him to swallow it.
>>
>>8444318
Um, I believe the doc Citizenfour is what your looking for. Trust me
>>
>>8444589

Possibly but I'd rather read a book on the subject than watch a documentary.

I'm getting the sense that I should ask /pol/ instead but frankly I'm afraid to go in there.
>>
>>8444613
/Pol/ is retarded, so definitely don't go there. I believe Glenn was the guy Snowden originally contacted about releasing the info, so I think he'd be who you'd want to read. There's no reason to immerse yourself in the technical side of surveillance and privacy unless you're interested in computer science.

t. Comp Sci grad
>>
>>8444318
why you so worked up over "should i read" a 300 pp book that will take a couple hours? just read the damn book and move on.
>>
>>8444613
Why the hell would you go to /pol/, ever? Just because a portion of them wear tinfoil hats doesn't mean they would have any meaningful insight into an *actual* conspiracy.

Glenwald's prose is dank. He's informed, eloquent, and efficient in his writing... just a top notch journalist, really. The book is good.
>>
>>8444318
Forget books written by hack journalists, and read everything you can on CIA limited hangout and cointelpro. Use that info as a conceptual guide and apply it to the Snowden affair. This is how these things are done.
>>
>>8444798
>I don't know anything about something but I'm going to pretend like I do and talk about it anyway

limited hangout has literally no relevance here at all as Snowden went rogue and released the documents in bulk
>>
>>8444841
I don't know much, but I suspect that if he disclosed any truly compromising information he wouldn't be on the cover of Time magazine and interviewed by media outlets around the world. I'm skeptical, like OP, that is all.
>>
>>8444860
Look into the story before making assumptions about it, then. He was granted asylum in Moscow and primarily dealt with interviewers there or online
>>
>>8444796

>Why the hell would you go to /pol/, ever?

Well, in four hours here on the book board, you're the only poster who even implies he's read it.

>>8444778

>why you so worked up over "should i read" a 300 pp book . . .
>why are you asking about a book on /lit/

Good point.
>>
>>8444877
>Well, in four hours here on the book board, you're the only poster who even implies he's read it.
Oh, he might as well go to /b/ for the traffic then, right?
>>
>>8444888

>Oh, he might as well go to /b/ for the traffic then, right?
>implying there weren't four threads full of pseudointellectuals discussing doorstop fiction in the interim
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.