[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ic/fag here. can someone tell me if this course is gonna be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: three-quarter view (cropped).jpg (456KB, 933x1061px) Image search: [Google]
three-quarter view (cropped).jpg
456KB, 933x1061px
/ic/fag here. can someone tell me if this course is gonna be bullshit?

>No one doubts that we live in a globalized world, but how can we understand its complexity in cultural terms? Under the framework of everyday life, ------ pursues an answer to this question by approaching culture from the perspective of the quotidian: as an analysis of the ways that people live, work, shop, create, struggle, and dream in the daily contexts that comprise their globalized worlds. As a general introduction to the field of Cultural Studies, the course will follow the historical development of the concept of everyday life as it has been used by philosophers, critical theorists, artists, workers, and activists to challenge elitist understandings of culture. Whether in the context of shopping malls or the internet, global tourism or the routine activities of staying home, our discussion will focus on the most taken-for-granted aspects of both individual and collective social experience. By learning how to interpret the complexity of daily life through the many forms of its cultural expression—films, novels, memoirs, performances, video, digital art—this course revises familiar understandings of globalization by thinking about culture as both distinct from and complexly related to economics, politics, and social policy. In doing so, it introduces students to the value of the Humanities for exploring the meaning, history, and experience of globalization. While this course serves as an introduction to the major, its concerns will be equally valuable to students working in any number of fields, including Cultural Anthropology, History, Romance Studies, Political Science, Sociology, and English.

i was thinking about pursuing a second major in philosophy/theory (the other is stem), but i also kinda want to just take actual art courses to git gud faster
>>
I don't care about you or read what you said. I do want to know who that girl is, though.
>>
File: 204011[1].jpg (71KB, 315x475px) Image search: [Google]
204011[1].jpg
71KB, 315x475px
Just read this book instead
>>
>>8443463
idk m8

>>8443468
i am not shitting you fred jameson actually teaches here lel
>>
>>8443463
Reverse image search pulls her up has as Barbara Palvin, a fashion model.
>>
>>8443455

I'm a CS/Math and English double major (english because I read a lot and write some and I needed extra credits to graduate early), AND I'm /ic/, but beginner thread material there.

Depends on the school. Look at the class trajectory and see if you want to do it as long as you can stomach some diversity classes, like "gay disabled pan-African folklore from a neo-Marxist perspective."

An English degree is worth a million times more than an art degree. Besides the art major at many universites will dwell far too long on abstract and postmodern works for your liking, I'm sure.
>>
>>8443472
>i am not shitting you fred jameson actually teaches here lel

Take his class
>>
Sounds like complete horseshit OP.
>>
>>8443455
here's some of the reading list btw:
Ben Highmore, “Questioning Everyday Life”
Theodor Adorno and Max Horkheimer, “The Culture Industry: Enlightenment as Mass Deception”
Raymond Williams, “Culture is Ordinary”
Michel-Rolph Trouillot, “North Atlantic Universals: Analytical Fictions, 1492-1945” (2002)
David Howes, “Hyperaesthesia, or, The Sensual Logic of Late
Capitalism” (2005)
Calvin Hui, “Dirty Fashion”
Inderpal Grewal, “Traveling Barbie: Indian Transnationalityand New Consumer Subjects” (1999)
J. Paige MacDougall, “Transnational Commodities as Local Cultural Icons: Barbie Dolls in Mexico” (2003)
George Ritzer, “Prosumption: Evolution, Revolution, or Eternal Return of the Same?” (2014)
Matthew Flisfeder, “The Entrepreneurial Subject and the Objectification of the Self in Social Media” (2015)
Zizek on Compassionate Capitalism
Andrea Stuart, Sugar in the Blood
Rey Chow, “Skin Tones—About Language, Postcoloniality and Racialization” (2014)

>>8443500
let's make it yo. and thanks for the advice -- i don't intend to take any courses on pomo art though, as our visarts major is pretty flexible (ie, only gonna take representational/traditional art courses). also, do any additional majors really even count for anything in cs?
>>
Sounds like it could be breddy good dude, but it really depends on the prof

I took a similar intro humanities course when I was a freshman just on "nature" (the one on "antiquity and the 19th century" was full and I was PISSED that I had to take this) and I thought it would be boring, but the prof was so good that it ended up being one of my favorite courses to this day.
>>
>>8443538
this reading list sounds fuckin lit op

I think you should give it a shot
>>
>>8443472
Nigga just take his class
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.