[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Theatre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Theatre.jpg (2MB, 1375x3968px) Image search: [Google]
Theatre.jpg
2MB, 1375x3968px
What's your favourite play?
>>
Our Town by Thornton Wilder
>>
>>8442549
Mother Courage.
My old drama teacher directed a class doing The Persecution of Jean Paul Marat + they had a whole bunch of crt tv's lining the stage + had live feed cameras recording De Sade's whipping. Apparently shit was cash
>>
>>8442549
Αισχύλου Αγαμέμνων.

I haven't even seen it and I don't need to.
>>
The Father by Strindberg.
Hedda Gabler by Ibsen is good too

Is Three Sisters by Chekov /lit/-approved?
>>
Where does one start with Samuel Beckett?
>>
>>8443653
Waiting for Godot probably
>>
>>8442549

Hedda Gabler was an amazing read. Also I just read a cute play by Brian Friel, called Translations. Not groundbreaking, but better than I expected.

Oh, and the Caretaker by Harold Pinter is great. It's like Beckett with the empathy of Tolstoy
>>
>>8443661
>he READ plays
>>
>>8443677
Not him, but I read plays while listening to a radio play of it in the background. I get somewhat of the intended experience while also indulging in a literary experience. Is that fine for you?
>>
File: cancer.jpg (428KB, 3264x2448px)
cancer.jpg
428KB, 3264x2448px
>>8443690
>radio
>this current year
>>
File: image.jpg (112KB, 640x825px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 640x825px
I am currently at my rehearsal for this one (from my phone, of course)
>>
>>8443677

I watched most of them. The Caretaker even has a film version (same actors as the original stage production) up on youtube that is easy to search for. The difference between seeing it performed and reading it was of course incredibly elucidating. Pinter's dialogue feels stale but I suppose that's because it's much more up to the actor.
>>
>>8443716
I don't literally listen to the radio, I listen to radio recordings.
>>
Amy Herzog, Samuel D. Hunter, and Zayd Darin are among my favorite contemporary playwrights.

Great God Pan, Bright New Boise, and Sick for those three.
>>
What does everyone here think of Red by John Logan?
>>
>>8444988

Never heard. Worth checking out?
>>
>>8444997
I tell people it's basically Whiplash: the Play because of the similar teacher-student dynamic of a temperamental, perfectionist master of his work and his younger, more contrary protege. It's a two-person play about Mark Rothko and his assistant and it's about how much one strives for perfection in their works in order to find validity within his contemporaries.

I recommend it, it won the Tony for Best Play the year it premiered on Broadway.
>>
>>8442549
the musical comedy murders of 1940

nothing fancy or with literary merit, but one of the funniest damn shows i've ever had the privilege of acting in.
>>
>>8445003

> originally performed by Eddie Redmayne

Yeah I guess it is a good play when it gets the emerging top closeted gay actor to perform in it
>>
Not as familiar with plays as I'd like to be, but a few I've particularly enjoyed:

Tennessee Williams - The Glass Menagerie
George Kaufman and Moss Hart - The Man Who Came to Dinner
Eugene O'Neill - The Emperor Jones
Sophocles - Antigone; Philoctetes
Vonnegut - Happy Birthday, Wanda June
>>
How is Angels in america. On my reading list for intro to American lit
>>
harry potter and the cursed child

>come at me bros
>>
>>8445099
it's shit
>>
>>8442549
I need to see more plays, but other than the obvious Shakespeare contenders I loved Endgame.
>>
>>8442549

>Ivanov
>Uncle Vanya
>The Inspector General
>Waiting for Godot
>Antigone

They're all shit compared to Hamlet, much the same way all people are compared to God.
>>
Agamemnon
>>
File: colored.jpg (52KB, 304x475px) Image search: [Google]
colored.jpg
52KB, 304x475px
i just read this. it was entertaining if you like things that talk about race relations or more specificially the struggle of being black in america, which i do.

I know a lot of people on 4chan hate it, but whatever this is on par with do the right thing
>>
>>8446958
>the struggle of being black in america
nope, not reading this nigger propoganda
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.