[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Movies like Infinite Jest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1447449000356.jpg (96KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1447449000356.jpg
96KB, 500x332px
What are films like Infinite Jest? Royal Tenenbaums is okay and Magnolia was great. I really enjoy that aesthetic. I heard Short Cuts was also Jestian, but Altman's style seems somewhat divorced from Wallace's so I'm not too sure of that.
>>
Boogie Nights
>>
i didn't read the book yet, but how about requiem for a dream?
>>
>>8440475
b8
>>
I saw Royal tenenbaums long before I started infinite jest and immediately thought they were so similar in subject and style. However, I am a huge Wes Anderson fan so others might not even think RT is good, much less jestlike
>>
Satantango if only for the length and sense of dread alone
>>
File: 1418446874638.png (539KB, 957x710px) Image search: [Google]
1418446874638.png
539KB, 957x710px
>his first thought after infinite jest is to watch a film

Did Wallace not tell you about entertainment brah?
>>
>>8440195
Trainspotting / Brick / Magnolia

>>8440475
it gets a bit RFAD-y but only in parts and yes those parts are awesome
>>
>>8440587
he taught me to be careful what you watch; to check yo'self before you briandead yo'self and to prioritize David Lynch films
>>
Boyhood desu
>>
Doctor Strange Love
>>
>>8440458
That one too, not as Jestlike as Magnolia for me though
>>8440496
Satantango and Infinite Jest feel totally different from me. They only have the length thing going for them

>>8440612
Trainspotting only feels like the drug sections of IJ, but doesn't capture the entire aesthetic of IJ.

>>8440634
Don't see it. Boyhood is super comfy though.

>>8440982
That would be more equivalent to a postmodern novel.
>>
>>8440195
I don't know why I think this, but Synecdoche and Being John Malkovich both seem like stories straight out of DFW's mind
>>
>>8440195
Why does almost every version of the cover have a picture of clouds ?
>>
The end of evangelion.
>>
>>8441110
Synecdoche is def post-modern like IJ
>>
>>8440195
>he uses the word Jestian unironically.
>>
>>8441126
because makes you HIGH and clouds are HIGH in the SKY and and DFW used to get SUPER HIGH smoking mad MARIJUANA but he doesnt want you to do the same because it will kill your BRAIN and your SERATONIN stuff and give you the DEPRESSIONS so you will need to take the ANTI-DEPRESSIVES and a withdrawal from those will make you HANG YOURSELF WITH YOUR BELT.
I smoked too much WEED in my teenage years and now im SUPER BRAINDEAD so i guess Wallace was right so please be CAREFUL and say NO to DRUGS.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.