[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /lit/ feel about listening to books vs reading them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: download.png (35KB, 600x312px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
35KB, 600x312px
How does /lit/ feel about listening to books vs reading them?
>>
>>8437542
Why not both?

I'm currently listening/reading the Iliad

They're two different translations, which means I'll definitely learn the dumb Roman god names
>>
>>8437542
if it's poetry, it's fine. poetry was meant to be recited. if it's prose, you should be reading the pages as you listen.
>>
>>8437542
They're both completely different methods of reading a book and you'll get a different experience with an audiobook than if you read it yourself.
>>
File: 085.jpg (25KB, 343x424px) Image search: [Google]
085.jpg
25KB, 343x424px
I came here to ask this exact question.

I really want to read/listen to some Neil Gaiman cause I think I'd like him. I much rather lay down in the dark and just listen before bed.

>>8437579
American Gods and Caroline. Read or listen?
>>
>>8437547
>Iliad
>Roman god names
>>
>>8437594
Read and play some music in the background.
>>
this...is a librivox recording...all librivox recordings are in the public domain :)
>>
>>8437607

But then I gotta turn on my bright room light, and pay for the book, and if i want a dim light i gotta buy that. instead of just torrenting the audiobook.
>>
>>8437618
>he doesn't have an ereader with a backlight
>his phone can't stream YouTube "best of [classical composer]" playlists

scrub
>>
>>8437542
it's cool for nonfiction and easy prose before bed. but if you really want to enjoy reading something, you need to subvocalize. listening to an umberto eco right now; v. cozy.

>>8437611
fuck you
>>
>>8437625
>using "best of [classical composer]" playlists
absolute pleb-tier autism

I'm indescribably upset about this
>>
>>8437635
stay mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUx6ZY60uiI
>>
>>8437625
>>8437635
listening to classical music is so indescribably pseud that i hope you both get pegged
>>
I'm upsetti because it's plebbish
>>
>>8437634
librivox is a lifesaver for me especially as a literature major reading late at night. it keeps me on task and helps me plow through material without stopping. especially books that I really don't want to fucking read.
>>
>>8437643
There's nothing worse than a brainlet trying to downplay classical music.
>>
>>8437648

>Librivox
>pointless bumper on every chapter

Why is every decent idea in opensource ruined by this sort of thing.
>>
>>8437666
Eh it doesn't really bother me. I usually take the time to set the book down and get a quick stretch.
>>
I find audio books are great for trashy stuff to get me to sleep, or even, lower tier stuff.

> Donna Tart
> Hunger Games
> Stephen King
> Michael Faber

Would never be arsed to read ^ but while falling asleep is great.
>>
>>8437666
Autism
>>
File: question.png (22KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
question.png
22KB, 256x256px
>>8437542
A book is always fine to read but an audiobook depends entirely on the narrator. And it is hellish to listen to a mediocre narrator trying to pronounce unpronounceable names, speak with a dozen accents for a hundred characters.

Btw where do you get your ebooks after the demise of the usual suspects?
>>
Audiobooks are fucking awesome. I can't even count the number of hours I have spent listening to audiobooks.

For those of us with actual jobs, it's awesome, get paid while being educated/entertained.

I know a lot of /lit/ sneers at audiobooks because they are pretentious hipster faggots, but being able to do other shit while still listening to a book maximises your productivity while absorbing and retaining the same content.

The only bad thing is narrators. Some narrators are fucking dreadful which makes it borderline unbearable, but a good narrator is fucking dank.

>Tfw I can't even really remember what I did on any given day, I'm just on autopilot listening to a fun book

Feels so fucking good man. Especially when you work a trade and have minimal customer interaction. Though inevitably some health and safety douchebag will tell me off for wearing earbuds on a job site, hate those cunts.
>>
I listen to stuff at work. Books and podcasts mostly. I agree with the poster above, but also because my job requires a lot of reading and research out of the lab, so reading for pleasure is out the window
>>
>>8438449
Go back to plebbit
>>
>>8437594
I didn't like the American Gods audiobook, but I'd already read it so it did the thing where everything just feels uncomfortably different from how it sounded in your head
>>
>>8438449
Only listen to audiobooks if it's genre fiction and you don't cherish your time to read something good.
>>
>>8438652
Eat shit faggot.
>>
>>8437643
It's pseud if you're only doing it to come off as "cultured" and don't actually have any interest in classical music.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.