[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 15

File: blackcolor.png (2KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
blackcolor.png
2KB, 600x600px
Hey, /lit/, black guy here. Can we have a black /lit/ thread? Specifically, I'm looking for any recommendations of contemporary black authors. Personally, I like Paul Beatty for fiction and Terrance Hayes for poetry, but honestly I'm just not super well read when it comes to black writers. I kind of just read shit like Cormac McCarthy and Hemmmmmingway because I guess I'm an Oreo

Who are your favorite (and least favorite) black writers? Anyone to recommend? (Keep in mind that I am familiar with the big ones so you don't need to be like, "Ralph Ellison durr!")

I'd like to read contemporary black writers that maybe I haven't heard of, but I fear that most will be just too corny/SJW way too focused on race and "struggle". It is definitely pretty hard to write about a black character or experience without bringing those things up at all, but preferably I'd like to see it done more subtly or take a back seat to different themes.

I'd be really interested in reading a work by a black author that lampoons black people to some extent. Kind of like McGruder did with the Boondocks.

>inb4 /pol/ virgins and this thread devolving into an absolute shit storm
>>
Marx looks pretty black from his pictures
>>
>>8437323
Haha funny you should say that. I always wondered if he was like one of those "otcoroon" cats like Homer Plessy.
>>
Coetzee
>>
>>8437316
Samuel Delaney and Derek Walcott come to mind

>>8437343
>Sylvia Plath
>Slam Poet
way to advertise your bait
>>
>>8437337
Only if by the 5th tribe.
I'm dreadfully sorry I can't help, I only read dead people
>>
Ta-Nehisi Coates is a fantastic writer.

I don't care for most of his viewpoints on race (in "Between the Earth and Me," he is upset that all blacks have to carry the burdens and crimes of other blacks, but throughout the book he talks about how all white people should be held responsible for slavery and racism), but some of his other points are very agreeable (for example, despite holding that opinion mentioned above, he still feels that, ultimately, everyone should be held accountable as individuals. While he admits to thinking in a bit of a herd mentality, he makes attempts to shake it off, and admits he has a way to go). Excellent prose.

Octavia Butler makes great science fiction. Check out "Wild Seed."

"The Color of Water" by James McBride is also a wonderful read. The book is primarily about experiencing racism as a black boy raises by a single Jewish mother (the racism is not issued by her), he doesn't make himself a victim, nor does he blame all of "white" society for the actions of a few.
>>
File: tumblr_nmhpghhZQK1rg3vrmo1_500.jpg (75KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmhpghhZQK1rg3vrmo1_500.jpg
75KB, 500x375px
>>8437343
>the heights of the Canon
>>
>>8437365
Fuck man i want a washing pole
>>
>>8437316
Honestly, black (actual African) literature is pretty terrible for the western reader. Almost all of it is Marxist drivel and we, as western readers, are way too disconnected with the subject matter for it to really resonate. A lot of the African lit is experimental and not in the good way. It's just so bad that it makes you cringe. If you absolutely have to read it though, try "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achabe.
>>8437338
Coetzee is fucking white. He's just South African. "Waiting for the Barbarians" is a pretty good read though.
>>
>>8437352
why do u keep spelling Delany's name with an e?

also delany's output is negligible, and much of it is trash. he's fucking pro-pedophilia too, the egregious bastard.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 260x400px
This was a great read, imo
>>
File: railroad.jpg (114KB, 640x972px) Image search: [Google]
railroad.jpg
114KB, 640x972px
>>8437316

Colson Whitehead might be of interest
>>
>>8437316
Check out Percival Everett's Half an Inch of Water. It's an incredible collection regardless of his color. None of it is overtly about blackness, but it shows up on occasion.
>>
>>8437397
>also Plato's output is negligible, and much of it is trash. he's fucking pro-pedophilia too, the egregious bastard.
>>
I always post Claude McKay and Nathaniel Mackey in these threads.

John Edgar Wideman is good as a memoir-type writer, if you're not sick of memoirs yet. He does labor over race quite a bit which may also bore u.
>>
>>8437316
I didn't know black people used 4chan
>>
>>8437316
Can I ask why you want to deliberately read people of your own skin colour and not just read the best writers?
>>
>>8437421
"Great" is a bit far, I liked it too though
>>
>>8437343
>Implying Bob Dylan is not on par with the greatest of poets

Gtfo pleb
>>
File: 54d1a3fd89f65_-_esq-baldwin.jpg (74KB, 650x385px) Image search: [Google]
54d1a3fd89f65_-_esq-baldwin.jpg
74KB, 650x385px
>ctrl+f "baldwin"

Shameful display.
>>
>>8437785
Fuck man, why would we make it known. We're just going to be called nigger and trolled by edgelords.

>>8437796
Picking up a tinge of a aggressiveness in this post. It also makes more than one baseless tacit assumption, but whatever I'll just answer the question.

I've said before that I'm actually not very well read on black authors. And that I'm not super interested in a lot of the things they focus on. But it is undeniable that any people with a common connection, be it racial, nationalistic, religious, etc. share a certain connection or experience to some extent.

Blacks are my people, man, why wouldn't I want to hear what my people have to say?
>>
File: 1472102800578.jpg (155KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1472102800578.jpg
155KB, 1080x1080px
>black
>literature
>>
File: asowell.gif (84KB, 375x359px) Image search: [Google]
asowell.gif
84KB, 375x359px
Thomas Sowell

I havent read him but I hear good things.
>inb4 uncle tom
>>
>>8437849
Not OP but
>Keep in mind that I am familiar with the big ones so you don't need to be like, "Ralph Ellison durr!"
>>
>>8437316
I haven't read her stuff, but Zadie Smith is big and famous.
>>
>>8437316
Have you read John Edgar Wideman? Fathers and Sons and Philadelphia Fire are both good.
>>
>>8438355

Absolutely based
>>
That big lipped retard who works for the Atlantic. Named after a pharaoh or some shit

WEWUZ Costes
>>
File: 1370302930907.gif (371KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1370302930907.gif
371KB, 500x375px
>>8437316
Dien Cai Dau by Yusef Komunyakaa is supposed to be a very good poetry collection about the Vietnam war. I have not read it but it was my coworker's all time favorite poetry collection besides Cummings and she was pretty well read for poetry.

The way she described it made it seem like race was present but the horrors of war were always at the front. She said it was also incredibly depressing. I know it isn't the most contemporary but it is a slim book so maybe it is worth a go.
>>
>>8437316
Why do you need black literature if you don't want to read SJWs and "struggle"? Just read whatever, most literature is universal.
>>
>>8437316
ZZ Packer's Drinking Coffee Elsewhere

I highly recommend it. There are a couple stories that lampoon slightly, maybe not to the extent for which you're looking, but which show both the humanity and the flaws of the characters
>>
>>8438420
That is the epitome of MFA writing. Do with that what you will, OP.
>>
>>8437316
Cardinal Sarah.
The only black author who doesn't write about how black his experience is.
>>
>>8437796
>>8438402

>hey, guys can you recommend some black authors

>OMG W-WHY?? REEEEEE

Jesus.
>>
>>8437361
Ta-Nehisi Coates is a rambling, whinging fuckstain.
>>
I fucking hate niggers. Just read and stop focusing on skin color (the most trivial fucking characteristic of the complex system that is a human)

fcking nigger
>>
>>8438732
if you weren't marginalizing him in your very post he might not feel a need to seek out people that he shares only a superficial commonality with.
>>
>>8437316
why does skin colour matter? fucking racist.
>>
Iceberg Slim - Pimp
>>
>>8438744

Back to /mu/, faggot, this isn't your board.
>>
>>8438732
You're retarded.
Anyone who isn't producing my chinese cartoons is subhuman trash yourself included.
>>
>>8438744
im marginalizing him on his lack of intellectualism. i don't give a fuck if he's black but to be a nigger is no excuse
>>
>>8437832
found the pleb
>>
Start with the classics. Alexandre Dumas.
>>
File: LonelyLondon.jpg (57KB, 271x411px) Image search: [Google]
LonelyLondon.jpg
57KB, 271x411px
>>
>>8437316
Machado de Assis is very good and quite underrated. His race - whilst it is present in his works, his short story "father against mother" for example - doesn't become the driving interest or concern behind his works which most people in this thread seem to want to avoid.

Also St Augustine, although he apparently doesn't count as black i still think everyone should read him.
>>
File: freaggin monkey.jpg (11KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
freaggin monkey.jpg
11KB, 250x201px
>>8437343
>pairing pop and jazz
>>
Nathaniel Mackey - Traces of Perfume quartet.
>>
>>8437697
>>8439710
>Mackey
Came to post this. He occasionally goes full retard on race and the continental humanities touch, but still worth a look.
>>
pic related looks pretty interesting

https://evolutionistx.wordpress.com/2016/06/17/anthropology-friday-still-a-pygmy-by-isaac-bacirongo-and-micheal-nest/

https://evolutionistx.wordpress.com/2016/06/24/anthropology-friday-still-a-pygmy-pt-2/

https://evolutionistx.wordpress.com/2016/07/01/anthropology-friday-still-a-pygmy-pt-3-bantus-mobutu-and-witchcraft/
>>
>>8437343
If you don't like Gucci then you don't "get" post-postmodernism
>>
>>8437316
Their Eyes Were Watching God

Not obnoxiously MUH RACISM nor MUH SEXISM, but actually about desires and quests all people can relate to.

I am not saying there is no sexism and racism discussed in the novel, far from it. It's just not a feminist temper tantrum, but actually insightful. She was an anthropologist after all.

I'd compare it to The Mill on the Floss when it comes to some of the themes.
>>
>>8437316
Try Behead All Satans. The author uses the word "nigger" a lot.
>>
File: the-get-down.jpg (73KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
the-get-down.jpg
73KB, 620x349px
Yusef Komunyakaa

Amazing poet.
>>
Try some contemporary Black Canadian poets and authors. We have some fine ones I've enjoyed: André Alexis, Lawrence Hill, Nega Mezlekia, George Elliott Clarke, Dionne Brand, Shani Mootoo, & Esi Edugyan (haven't read her yet).
>>
A lovely short story collection by one Amina Gautier. The collection features a variety of protagonists from different racial backgrounds--white, black, Indian, you name it.

As far as race is concerned, the issues are along intraracial lines than interracial ones; conflicts like racism--both institutional and casual--may inform the history and feelings of the characters, but they don't override the narrative. How the characters deal with issues that are more informed to their specific circumstances is more central to the story than any particular message regarding social justice. In my opinion, the lack of interracial struggle as a main driving point allows for the black protagonists to be themselves in a way that doesn't put them under that bizarre white vs. black microscope that so many black--and white--writers are so quick to use.

From one black anon to another, OP, I can't recommend this collection enough. I just wish I could find more works like this one.
>>
>>8437337
>>8437323

dumas was, tho.
>>
>>8437361

my man.

Kindred by butler is a great book. and I agree that coates' prose is excellent. Check out "the beautiful struggle" about his life growing up in inner-city baltimore.
>>
>>8437316
The Fourth Century - Édouard Glissant
>>
>>8437491
Lol Plato is trash you stupid fag
>>
>>8437438
Is he all hype or is he actually good? I find it maybe not suspicion but slightly depressing that this book is getting all of the hype and the Oprah endorsement when there are a dozen promising sounding books by black women that have been coming out to some attention, but way less.
People seem to really like The Sellout from last year, I thought it was pretty good, but I don't really like straight up comedic writing.
>>
owns
Helen Oyeyemi is a genius.
>>
>>8437796
>Why do you want to read a book by a particular author and not just the best books in general?
>Why do you want to read books on a particular subject and not just the best books in general?
>>
>>8439495
Br here. I've learned that Machado was black not that long ago. It's funny how in 8 years learning about him not a single teacher mentioned that to us, and i've studied in like 3 different schools during that period, and they weren't even shitty schools. Makes you think.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.