[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: We suggest books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: books.jpg (4MB, 2800x2100px) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
4MB, 2800x2100px
Pretty simple, really. Just generally recommend books that /lit/ doesn't talk about too often but would find interesting

>Nazim Hikmet- Letters To Tarantu Babu
Satirical letters sent by a fictional Ethiopian art student living in Rome during Mussolini's rule to his wife back home about the glories of Italy and its army. Great anti-fascist poetic work

>Ryunosuke Akutagawa- Rashomon And Other Stories
Dark and twisted Japanese short stories, one of which is the basis to the film Rashomon. Good shit
>>
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
>>
>Till We Have Faces - C. S. Lewis
Retelling of the myth of Psyche and Cupid. i haven't reread it since high school but it was probably one of the first books that really blew me away. Lewis considered it his best work...so do I.

>Coriolanus - William Shakespeare
Really "tight" but powerful play IMO. Coriolanus as a character was striking and kind of divisive for me. You kind of hate him, relate to him(and thus appreciate him), and avoid accepting that you relate to him all at the same time. Gets at something about power, not-belonging-anywhere-ever, and magnetic draws between people that I loved. "There is a world elsewhere..."
>>
Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey Fifty Shades of Grey Fifty Shades of Grey
>>
>>8434763
One Hundred Years of Solitude. It's brought up occasionally but imo it's really something different compared to Western novels and literature and should be read by everyone

Colombia literally put the author Garcia Márquez on the 50,000 note, that should say something in and of itself
>>
File: hehhehheh.png (109KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
hehhehheh.png
109KB, 266x189px
>>8434787
>coriolANUS
>>
>>8434796
I fucking love that novel and honestly wish there was anything else like it. Borges is similar but generally focuses more on a sort of Eco-esque polymath side of things, and Cortazar's magical realism just doesn't touch Marquez either. Unfortunately Marquez's other stuff doesn't really hold up in comparison, although Autumn Of The Patriarch is also nice.
>>
>>8434796
Great book. Admittedly it was my first real taste of Latin/South American literature, but even now I look back on it fondly.
>>
>>8434806
Same, and nothing has really compared to it since
Well, I love Bolano but not for the same reasons as 100YoS
>>
>>8434763
The sentences are intricate, winding, baroque. Pedantry of all sorts abounds. It's light-hearted at times, mostly arrogant and posh. The ending is weak but overall it's a riot.

Oh, and it helps if you're a seasoned opera music fan or a seasoned homosexual. And if you're not, it might turn you into one, and if you end up anything like any of the characters in the book, you'll be better off for it.
>>
>>8434965
checkin it out
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.