[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are the best prose writers in English?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: prosewriter.jpg (9KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
prosewriter.jpg
9KB, 201x251px
Who are the best prose writers in English?
>>
>>8434248
>English

but OP, that's an American
>>
so you can namedrop them at your next cocktail party?
>>
>>8434248
Woolf
Emily Bronte
Nabokov
Faulkner
>>
Joyce
Beckett
Melville
Faulkner
>>
>>8434286
>Emily Bronte
I keep seeing this on here. I don't know how to agree.
>>
gass
joyce
woolf
pynchon
>>
>>8434296
no Capote?
no Steinbeck?
no Suess?

baka
>>
>>8434301
Steinbeck has the prose of a contemporary fantasy writer. It's superficial and basic, and bubbly only when describing landscapes and scenery.
>>
>>8434248
Me
>>
>>8434326

Good job you responded to bait.
>>
elmore leonard
>>
Is Roth worth my time? What should I read if he is?
>>
>>8434363
i married a communist and american pastoral are both good
>>
>>8434326
its down to earth, and thats precisely what make him american. I am reminded of Salinger.

>>8434360
Good job you contributed nothing to everything
>>
>>8434376
>its down to earth, and thats precisely what make him american
Which, in my opinion, is a horrible response to what OP asked. He didn't ask who the 'most american' writer was.
>>
>>8434299
You either love Emily's prose, or you don't, there's not much middle ground. The common complaint that I hear is that it's too heavy-handed to thoroughly enjoy.

Regardless of how you feel about it, you should recognize that it's masterful prose.
>>
>>8434385
K. Why is it masterful
>>
>>8434385
>emily bronte
>heavy handed
youre thinking of her older sister
>>
Jane Austen, my dudes
>>
>>8434248
>tfw the best English prose writer of all time isn't even a native English speaker
>>
File: 2011-03-12+10.46.39.jpg (204KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2011-03-12+10.46.39.jpg
204KB, 1200x1600px
>>8434248
David Duke
>>
>>8434273
Who wrote in English.
>>
>>8434248
Fitzgerald.

Fuck all you who think his shit is contrived.
>>
>>8434385
Read Wuthering Heights and loved her description of the cold moors and the spooky romantic tone, but the story itself and the character interactions wore on me. I just didnt care at all after the first generation died.
>>
>>8434847
/lit/ only hates Fitzgerald because /lit/ is desperately contrarian, and hates the idea of plebs being able to appreciate a patrician book (The Great Gatsby)

This is what happens when people build their whole identities around loving exclusive literature that no one else can understand except for INTJ genyusses like them
>>
>>8434286
>being this wrong
unironically??
>>
>>8434300
Good list, though I'd replace Pynchon with Gaddis.
>>
>>8434525
shut up /pol/ and stop forcing your shit
>>
>>8434248
Thomas Browne
Cormac McCarthy
Herman Melville
Virginia Woolf
William Gaddis
>>
>>8434362
i like you
>>
>>8434858
that attitude is actually what kept me out of /lit/erature for a long-ass time, tho, bruh

dostoyevsky, nabokov, many of the big classic authors are incredibly well known
>>
>>8434889
forgot Henry Miller
Frederick Prokosch is under rated
Alexander Theroux has an interesting but tiring style
>>
>>8434248
WALT WHITMAN DESCRIBES A BLOWJOB IN 18TH CENTURY CMOOOON
>>
>>8434248
William Faulkner
>>
Leonard Cohen
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.