[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rationalism thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Rational Minds.jpg (772KB, 1600x729px) Image search: [Google]
Rational Minds.jpg
772KB, 1600x729px
What does /lit/ think of it? It's basically promoting reason over experience to have beliefs or opinions. I personally like it because it has some form of way to promote reason. probably because I am trying to find some philosophy that deals with intelligence, smartness, or wisdom. Let me know in spoilers in case you got a list of such philosophies. Hard mode: Don't list empiricism.

Also, has their been any work that deals with Rationalism?
>>
>>8434118
You sound like a New Atheist. Can you even define reason?
>>
>>8434127
>You sound like a new atheist

I've actually have been an atheist, I just want to clarify my stuff.
>>
>>8434138
So can you tell me what reason is?
>>
>>8434149
Just a way to make a conclusion, belief, or opinion based on logic and sound judgement
>>
File: elloreddit.jpg (437KB, 1508x1493px) Image search: [Google]
elloreddit.jpg
437KB, 1508x1493px
>>
Reason is a tool, a method. We should be using reason to fulfil our passions. We shouldn't replace passion with reason.
>>
>>8434118
>It's basically promoting reason over experience to have beliefs or opinions.
I'm an egoist and thus hate this kind of rationalism in others.

It would not be rational for me to like other people being rational; I am not very good at anything, I'm ugly and poor and have a history of various problems. For me to do well in the world, other people need to be irrational whenever they like me or trust me or anything of the like. A rational woman will not share her life with me, a rational boss won't hire me, a rational friend, even, might avoid me. They need to trust their feelings over their reason when it comes to me and my wellbeing.
>>
>>8434118
You should check-out Descartes and Spinoza.
>>
>>8434118
Unspooked rationalism (as in applying scientific method to various problems) bases itself on experience above everything else. "Reason" is just a tool to arrange experiences in a way that allows to utilise them. Similarly, unspooked rationalism doesn't speak about ends at all, it only speaks about means. It is purely utilitarian. Read Yudkovsky, his autism might interest you.
>>
why would anyone want to be rational?
>>
>It's basically promoting reason over experience to have beliefs or opinions
For -what- reason? What field? Which beliefs and opinions?

I wouldn't be in favor of abortion if I didn't pity the kid who would be raised by a mother who never wanted them. While my assumption that this kid will grow up to feel worthless and will have one or another mental illness is not far-fetched and this can be said to be rational thought. reason doesn't allow for pity as an argument to say these reasons are good enough plus I have ignored many other "facts" because I happen to pity kids before the mother.

But the question is if emotions aren't good enough who decides what is good enough of an argument here? Can this decision even be rational? Is one or the other ethical paradigm inevitable? Is utilitarianism rational? If so then I want nothing to do with rationalism because no, I don't think killing 500 individuals is "worse" than killing 50 and therefore we should kill the 50. Get the fuck away from me you psycho.

But pity is not fundamentally irrational either. You can make rational arguments from pity when it's tied to rational statements, for example you could say that not acting on pity is itself bad for a variety of observable reasons
>>
>>8434118
Of course rationalization allows humans to advance technologically, but especially with things you can't really test (i.e. humanities) you have to acknowledge that the monkey part of the human brain will occasionally wield reason like a stick to reach some irrational end.

This is the problem with atheism in the politically active class; the devotion to something inappropriate for satisfying the inner animal will necessarily lead to disaster, just like it did in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.