[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is inherent vice even worth the read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

if not, what should i read instead?
>>
It's a good book. Probably the best Pynchon-lite book. It's still a Pynchon-lite book, though.

The movie was also pretty great, probably one of the better films of 2014.
>>
>>8433846

is x even worth the read?
if not, what should i read instead?
>>
it's like his 3rd worst book. then vineland then bleeding edge. so read everything before that you fucking retard. or read it. I don't give a shit.
>>
>>8433846
No. It's complete rubbish and doesn't deserve a mote of your attention, my lord.
>>
>>8434323
You haven't really read any of them, have you? Vineland isn't his worst book; certainly its his more down to earth, you can see it in the women, DL especially. To be honest, you could put all 3 in one single novel and make them co-mingle, and it would be indiscernible from "Against the Day". People largely judge Pynchon by how much he can stuff in his novels than his ability as a writer.
>>
File: vineland.jpg (59KB, 261x400px) Image search: [Google]
vineland.jpg
59KB, 261x400px
>>8434348
By all the descriptions I'm reading in threads here regarding Vineland, I'm actually getting kind of hyped to read it. It's arriving by mail next week. I'm interested to read a mature Pynchon with less quirkiness than his earlier works, but still meaty, long and complex. Don't get me wrong, I just finished a second read of GR (first was in 2011) and actually re-read several passages and took notes, used bookmarks... the whole nine yards. But it will be nice to see a more down to earth side of him. That would prove the point that he's not just a one-trick-pony, right?
>>
>>8434340
kek
>>
This fucking thread again? Could we just have like one thread for all things Pynchon and avoid these fucking threads every single day?
>>
All Thomas Pynchon's books are "worth the read," my dude.
>>
>>8433856
>The movie was also pretty great, probably one of the better films of 2014.
I disagree, it was probably the single most painful film experience I've ever had, and I've watched A Serbian Film. The Inherent Vice adaptation just never ends. It's like what The Big Lebowski would have been if they hadn't cut out any unnecessary scenes and made the plot impossible to follow. I've never read the book of Inherent Vice but I'm enjoying Gravity's Rainbow and I strongly advise against ever watching that film as an introduction to anything related to Pynchon.
>>
>>8435987
It's the same person who's been defending Vineland in every thread recently, but there's always been a consensus among those who've read it that it's not as bad as the overall disregard makes it look.
>>
>>8436556
>It's like what The Big Lebowski would have been if they hadn't cut out any unnecessary scenes and made the plot impossible to follow.

that's basically what Pynchon was going for anyway.
>>
>>8436556
>I've never read the book of Inherent Vice
The movie made way more sense to me and seemed way better after I had read the book
>>
it didn't leave too strong an impression on me as my first pyncheon, although i'm willing to give him another go with one of his major works. read dostoevsky instead, everyone should, he's great
>>
>>8436613
Yeah, it's probably good if you've read the book, but it isn't something you should recommend to people who haven't.
>>
>>8436607
Yea but there was not enofe humor in the movie. the book and the big lebowski had much more softer funnier bits.
>>
I really didn't enjoy Inherent Vice. I've read V and loved it and I'm currently reading Mason and Dixon, which is very good.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.