[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lord of the Flies discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: LordOfTheFliesBookCover.jpg (96KB, 334x518px) Image search: [Google]
LordOfTheFliesBookCover.jpg
96KB, 334x518px
let's discuss
>>
>>8433505
U start
>>
>>8433505
Go ahead friend
>>
>>8433505
Sexist, racist, classist garbage.

It should be removed from all schools and teachers that teach it should be reeducated in a more diversity-conscious curriculum.
>>
Anyone think the ending was disappointing?
>>
>>8433505
Sucks to your ass mar
>>
>>8433505
i hate how golding describes things, its enfuriating to have to read a entire page just to know what the fuck was talking about in the first place, its not creative is tedious.
>>
>>8433754
It felt anticlimactic to me the first time around but after thinking about it for a while it grew on me. I hadn't initially considered the significance of them being rescued by a warship, and the officer turning away I think is a poignant way to finish.

The last sentence is definitely too on the nose though, as iconic as it is.
>>
>the natural state of man is brutality and cruelty
>entire book takes place against a backdrop of nuclear war waged by civilization, meaning civilization isn't sufficient either

Golding is basically a misanthrope. The book's message is no deeper than "humanity sux ballz guyz."

He's like Hobbes without the belief in society's efficacy at restraining man
>>
Like many others I studied this in school. The format of the exam for it was that you had to choose between two questions and write an essay on it. We looked at past papers and one was always about a theme and one was always about a character. The character question seemd to cycle somewhat reliably between Simon, Ralph, Piggy and Jack. We were able to narrow it down to two so the whole class focussed on them ahead of the exam, memorising quotations, writing up essay plans.

The day came and when we opened our papers we groaned in unison. Fucking Roger.
>>
>>8433808
Same message. The boys devolved into savages because they were separated by society. In the end, civilized society saves them.
>>
For some reason I couldn't picture the layout of anything on the island at first. The description of the rocks and mountains as pink blocks really fucked me up.
Parts of this book had a genuinely scary and eerie atmosphere which fucked me up cause I was expecting a children's book. Like the Lord of the Flies is scary as shit and the general night time atmosphere is terrifying, along with the savage's behaviour in killing based Simon.
>>8433810
Seems like a dumb thing to do lmao. I don't remember much on Roger, was he the silent one who beat people up?
>>
>>8433852
Yes he was the sadistic one who started off throwing stones at a little boy but aiming to miss and ended up plonking a boulder on top of Piggy.
>>
>>8433815
>In the end, civilized society saves them.
but civilized society was obsessed with killing krauts and nips before the krauts bombed all their council flats, or the nips took all their wog colonies
>>
>>8433505
Sexist.

t. John Green
>>
>>8433815

yet literally in the SAME BOOK -- read my original post -- it's heavily implied there's a nuclear war going on at the same time.

i.e. civilization can't save us from our "barbarity"
>>
File: piggy-death-o.gif (515KB, 324x179px) Image search: [Google]
piggy-death-o.gif
515KB, 324x179px
Good night, sweet piggu
>>
>>8434359
Wait really? The last time i read it was in highschool but.. seriously? What passages imply that?
>>
File: tumblr_mwl8t4oGiA1t2shmro1_500.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwl8t4oGiA1t2shmro1_500.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
>>8434955
He returns in the sequel though
>>
>>8434968

The ending of the first book was practically begging for this.
>>
>>8433521

Hello John Green.

https://youtu.be/WfNiQBXmPw8
>>
>>8435083
>make light of wartime PTSD
>muh misrepresentation of culture in the 50s
>why does a book revolving around students from a British boys boarding school not have any girls?
>>
>>8433505
>children's book
>written by a bong
>scene of boys ass raping a pig with a spear

Why are redcoats so degenerate?
>>
>>8433754
Not really. It shows how dependant children are on adults telling them how to behave and its a reminder of war and that war continues and always will through adult life in various degrees of "savagery" - even if youre in a virtuous white uniform rocking up in a spectacular battleship
>>
File: 1461036974664.png (6KB, 250x203px) Image search: [Google]
1461036974664.png
6KB, 250x203px
>>8434968
>tumblr
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.