[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People who would call themselves writers, what would you say

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 1420858325932.jpg (36KB, 604x397px) Image search: [Google]
1420858325932.jpg
36KB, 604x397px
People who would call themselves writers, what would you say the most meaningful or important lesson you learned or picked up is? I'm at a crossroads in my life, and this has been an introspective summer where I realized I don't want to stay in my current field. I used to write and read a lot in my youth, and started writing again recently. I have no formal background in this, just a ton of ideas for novels and stories.

I am not assuming I could just drop everything and write professionally, or even get a single thing published. Those of you who have finished polished works, are there any succinct things that you have stuck by to complete or advance your writing?

I would say pls no bully, but criticism and getting shit on is something i should learn to deal with sooner rather than later.
>>
I wanted to be a writer for my entire youth, but now that I've had some lucky break where I apparently have the ability to put real ideas to real paper, I look back at the phase before I had this ability, and I feel real fear. Because if I hadn't had whatever epiphany or awakening it was, I would have just been an idealess retard trying to write for the sake of writing, forever.

Once you have real ideas, you're fine. It can be shit that you know no one has never said before, or some alternative perspective on an issue that makes you want to beat people over the head with it when they say the orthodox perspective. Or it can be some realist talent for seeing into the hearts of things, or some Coleridgian thing for capturing aporias. All kinds of poetic talent and philosophical insight exist. But you kind of either have that or you don't.

Once you do, you should develop it like it's going to die any second. Seriously, live in constant terror that your ideas are going to evaporate, because they will. Get your shit out there. Do all the research you need to do. You can write a bad version of something now and rewrite it when you're 30.

Some random pieces of advice:

Don't listen to anyone's critique about prose, or even about content. Shitty stylists exist and can still be good, but more importantly, shitty critics are the 99%. And the vast majority of critics on a board like /lit/ are know-nothing retards who just go "Hmmm.. Not enough adjectives.." because they want to feel like a smart dude with real opinions by affecting what they think are the mannerisms of one. If you have shit you want to say, say it.

Do your research ASAP because I guarantee you all your ideas are entry-level, bland and unshaped, and have already been done by masters. But if you can see past that failure, you will take the seed of "this is a real idea!" and develop it into something good.

>You ask whether your verses are any good. You ask me. You have asked others before this. You send them to magazines. You compare them with other poems, and you are upset when certain editors reject your work. Now (since you have said you want my advice) I beg you to stop doing that sort of thing. You are looking outside, and that is what you should most avoid right now. No one can advise or help you - no one. There is only one thing you should do. Go into yourself. Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depths of your heart; confess to yourself whether you would have to die if you were forbidden to write. This most of all: ask yourself in the most silent hour of your night: must I write? Dig into yourself for a deep answer. And if this answer rings out in assent, if you meet this solemn question with a strong, simple "I must", then build your life in accordance with this necessity; your whole life, even into its humblest and most indifferent hour, must become a sign and witness to this impulse.
>>
>>8432842
Not exactly succinct, sorry.

Also: The chances that you will be successful as a writer are not only slim to nil, but you almost don't want to be successful as a writer, because today that means you're writing Chuck Paluhniuk Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Oprah book club shit or that you're writing war memoirs, cook books, or self-help.
>>
That's very valuable info, thank you. My current field is primary research in a science lab, so the researching portion comes naturally and easily. My imagination is also a big driver in my daily life; I'm usually daydreaming about other things, hence why this current path is not for me I'm finding out. The ideas I have are indeed somewhat novel, or at least a new take on established themes like you said.

I've been told by others I have a way with words, both verbal and written. I would like to think some innate potential is there, but like i said until June I had never even thought about trying to write in this capacity, so I have no hard practice or background aside from some scientific papers.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.