[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books you are eagerly waiting for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 9781627794466.jpg (377KB, 659x1000px) Image search: [Google]
9781627794466.jpg
377KB, 659x1000px
I'd say mine is pic related, which launches next year..

I have also pre-ordered Bottom's Dream.
>>
>Pre-ordering books.
>>
English translation of Min Kamp 6, and that's it.
>>
I was very unimpressed by auster s writing in brooklyn follies and I expect it to have gotten worse
>>
>>8432532
You think so? I quite liked his Winter's Journal.
>>
File: 1446843094564.jpg (251KB, 1508x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1446843094564.jpg
251KB, 1508x1000px
>implying Jerusalem isn't my answer
>>
Skin in the game by Taleb to be honest.
>>
>>8432532
He does seem like he peaked early from what little I've read by him. It's a shame since The New York Trilogy was pretty cool.
>>
>>8432532
Auster isn't a great writer, but like Murakami or Vonnegut, he's a good light literary read. He has his moments, though: the middle section of Invisible is really good. Also, he can somehow hold me riveted when all he's doing - literally - is describing a movie he saw when he was a kid, scene by scene, for like, thirty pages (Report from the Interior). You have to give him credit for that, I guess.
>>
Oh, I forgot: Auster's nonfiction is really good. Pick up the Collected Prose, it's got The Invention of Solitude and Hand to Mouth in it. The first is a memoir about his father that earned him a lot of attention when it came out, and the second is a less famous but still good memoir about becoming a writer. Thumbs up.
>>
>>8432450
What's wrong with this? I trust Dalkey Archive Press when it comes down to quality.
>>
>>8432627
>Also, he can somehow hold me riveted when all he's doing - literally - is describing a movie he saw when he was a kid, scene by scene, for like, thirty pages (Report from the Interior).
this is what DeLillo does well too
>>
>>8432443
The wrong Auster died
>>
>>8432643
Yeah, the invention of solitude was great. I don't even like memoirs and I still enjoyed it.
>>
The rest of In Search of Lost Time published by Yale. They're being published 1 volume a year, and volume 2 was published last year. What makes these editions so good are the extensive annotations by Proust scholar William C. Carter.
>>
>>8432443
isnĀ“t paul auster a fucking Pomo?
>>
>>8433404
Is this edition that much better compared to the other recent one? I think it was the new Penguin edition with a new translation
>>
>>8432443
Exterior Signs of Wealth by Fran Lebowitz
>>
>>8432443
'Untitled Water Book Thing' - Joseph McElroy
4321 - Paul Auster
The End of Cinnamon - jordaan mason

>>8432532
I've read six of Auster's books, and of them, Brooklyn Follies was definitely the least impressive. IMO, his non-fiction is his best work, and reading that gives you an appreciation for his slightly more experimental novels (of which BF is certainly not), because there's a lot of him mixed in them (sometimes implicitly, and sometimes with characters walking around who're named 'Paul Auster' and write books for a living).

If you ever feel the need to give him another go, then start with the Invention of Solitude. Then the NY Trilogy.
Like the other anon said, he's not a mad genius or anything, but as far as light literary stuff goes... well, I don't feel ashamed in calling him one of my favorite authors.
>>
>>8434306
>Untitled Water Book Thing
Please expound, I need to cum.
>>
>>8434317
I can't seem to find any concrete info about when it's coming out (or if it's even done yet, but a couple months ago, he posted a pic of the manuscript pages on his instagram (his account's 'officialmcelroy')).

Literally all I know about it is that it's being referred to as his 'water book', and that it's long as fuck. It's a Day One buy for me anyway.
I think there's an excerpt floating around (link can probably be found on /r/josephmcelroy somewhere), but I'm saving myself.
>>
T H E P A S S E N G E R
>>
>>8434355
why "water book"?
>>
>>8434439
Hopefully it's a 1000 page essay on water.
>>
>>8434477
Like mr. Women & Meme's answer to DFW's this is water thing?
>>
>>8434375
came here to say this
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.