[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Western civilization and culture so much greater than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: The-Thinker.jpg (381KB, 1624x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The-Thinker.jpg
381KB, 1624x1080px
Why is Western civilization and culture so much greater than all the rest? What's the secret?
>>
I think it's down to the Westerner's unerring ability to post threads onto the appropriate board.
>>
Being white
>>
>>8428889
Geographical determinism for a serious answer /pol/ if you want your insecurity alleviated in the short term and exacerbated in the long term talking from personal experience
>>
>>8428889
Homo sex
No homo
>>
>>8428993
But seriously, i believe the concentration of different cultures in such a small place and trade made it good.
>>
Self-catalysing processes of secularisation, exploration, scientific inquiry, and capital expansion beginning in the late medieval period and exploding in the early modern period.

Secularism was the most important one because it caused the advances made by the other processes to fall into the hands of interchangeable technocrats, who subsequently became necessary components of states if they wanted to remain competitive with their neighbours. They could still compete for traditional reasons, and even in traditional ways, but the means and ends of competition rapidly became modern ones.

In the rest of the world, when advances were made, they were usually stifled by a mandarin caste who made for poor technocrats, or by states who had more recourse to traditional methods of competition. While Europe steadily advanced in technology, finance, culture, and social organisation, the Ottomans just kept trying to fight old wars with unruly armies, and to run their state with Islamic mandarins. Not only does this leave them behind, it entrenches conservative forces like the janissaries, and with each generation modernisation becomes more and more daunting because of the backlash it will cause. By the time you do it, it's completely destabilising.
>>
>>8428889
You have to explain in what way the are greater if you want an explanation for why they developed that way
>>
>>8428889

>relatively higher IQ then groids and sand-coons (assuming that the IQ of middle-easterners was always at the level it is now and wasn't ruined over time by the spread of dark-skinned arabs and cousin marriages)
>mediterranean facilitated trade and interplay of cultures
>influence of egypt
>tripping on that LSD-like substance at the Elusinyian Mysteries
>city-states isolated by islands and valleys but still within a few days travel by boat facilitated the development of a bunch of sub-cultures that all spoke the same language and traded with each other but then had their own experiments in politics or culture that then influenced the other city states
>>
>>8429002

I agree with that but that answer does not account for the Greeks or Romans
>>
Romanisim. The Roman depiction of Jesus has been the lynch pin of Western cultural, He has been our muse for millennia and has appeared in every and all forms of art ever since.
However because of the rise of secularism and fall of Romanisim our art has obviously become less religious and poorer to the point that all poetry now is dead and the novel is on the same path. God has clearly decided to punish Europe by flooding them with diabolical moslems, for dedicating their current art to false idols.
>>
>>8428989
>>8428995
>>8429002
Good answers

>>8429031
You and others who post replies with the same shitposty motif remind me of the czech new wave shitposters on /tv/
>>
>>8429042
And you remind me of someone with down syndrome i.e. you are going to hell, now excuse me while I attend to my shrine
>>
>>8429023
This. Asking and trying to answer the question 'Why is X the case?' without first establishing whether X is the case and what X even means is dumb as rocks.

Also
>>>/his/
>>
>>8429031

Why are Catholics so deluded?
>>
linear time
>>
>>8429042
>czech new wave shitposters on /tv/
oh wow, is that a thing? how does their shitposting look like?
>>
They really aren't. It's not until the renascence that Europe catches up to and exceeds China technologically. That gives China a good four thousand years of being more advanced than Europe. Then you have to consider the middle east, the creators of writing which the west borrowed from. Not only do the oldest civilisations come from the middle east but that until the time of Alexander the great Europe was a back water which no great powers being influenced by but not influencing the east, but that also most of Europe was controlled by barbarians until the Romans conquered them.
Many of these places like the Balkans, Scandinavia, modern day Germany and almost of eastern Europe remained complete back waters for at least half a millennium until after the fall of the western Roman empire. During the medieval age Europe fall behind the Islamic, Indian, and far east Asian world in terms of learning. It's only in the last 400 years that Europe has really taken off in a way that the other spheres of power couldn't match.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.