[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gravity's Rainbow tips/discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: picador75.jpg (55KB, 566x859px) Image search: [Google]
picador75.jpg
55KB, 566x859px
Does anyone wanna actually have a discussion about this book? I started "The Zone" section today and while I understood Part 2 pretty well the whole tunnel/shwarzkommando/description of the double integrals thing has made me wanna put the book down again. Also what are your thoughts on the Advent section in Part 1? Where Roger and Jessica walk through London and Pynchon waxes poetic on Christmas and the War? I read it a while back but it still continues to confuse and enamor me. Jesus this book is frustrating but for some reason I keep picking it up day after day out of sheer awe, even after it has frustrated the hell outta me.
>>
Tips. To read a book. Haha, start at the beginning and keep going until you reach the end, broskiz
>>
>>8428326
lmao is the rocket supposed to be a dick?
>>
>>8428328
Thank you? Was talking more about the allusions and how to better integrate (pun intended) the mathematical aspects of the book into the larger themes...but yea you might be right.. maybe I should just read through it
>>
>>8428326
The Christmas chapter is the best one in the entire book.
The sections in order of difficulty are 2<4<3<1. If you make it through the first section, you can make it through the rest.
>>
>>8428337
The Poisson distribution is pretty basic but essential, most of the rocket science is there just to add detail to the threat and for fluffy metaphors, and frankly the double integrals aren't too much to focus on either if you're really not into that sort of thing

>tfw pinecone got turned down for a math doctorate at Berkeley

JUST
>>
>>8428338
Maybe I should re-read it at this point....it seems profound but for some reason the digressive nature of the prose seemed to really fuck with me when I read it...Glad that the book seems to get slightly easier. I honestly thought part 2 seemed relatively straightforward yet really paranoid. Part 1 threw me off balance. Also what about the Christmas Chapter to you makes it so great? The prose is wonderful but the relation to bigger thematic ideas about entropy, seeking meaning in symbols, and the notion of free will seem lost to me. I could just be retarded however
>>
>>8428340
Yea his breadth of knowledge is just incredible....I mean it is a bit show offy of course but the way he can draw forth so much relevant meaning from it is to be envied. I understand some basic aspects of the poisson distribution but unfortunately my knowledge of mathematics stops at multivariable calculus
>>
>>8428326
the tunnel is the best part
Also why would i talk about the book
with you if you havent finished it
>>
>>8428351
I'm sorry you're right...I guess I just needed a little motivation to keep reading and tie together most of what I've read so far
>>
>>8428348
Poisson is really simple stats, just look it up if you didn't grasp it

desu I find Mason And Dixon more impressive, as a STEMfag GR was just generally bringing up pretty basic stuff. That's not to say it didn't use it well, but it would be interesting to see Pynchon delve into simulacra and quantum ontology and shit like that.
>>
>>8428357
I have a copy of M&D lying around my house, but I think I might need a break from Pynchon for a while...might read some Franzen or Ishiguro to lighten my mind after this. Yea the math seems rather simple for the most part, yet the way he ties it in becomes rather complex and pretty open to interpretation....whoof Idk about all that advanced math stuff tho...might make his work even more daunting unless he can find some way to explain it to non-Math majors. It would be interesting to see him do something with stochastic or game theory however.
>>
>>8428329
Yea I the relationship between phallus and the masculine nature of war/technological progress towards destruction is a pretty prevalent thematic touchstone in the book...so the cover seems pretty fitting
>>
>>8428366
If you want a break from Pynchon but also to keep in a lighter version of a similar mood, Perec's A Void is a wonderful read

I'd love to see him do game theory. deterrence strategies a la Strangelove especially
>>
>>8428392
Thank You for the rec mane, I'll have to look that up the next time I go on a book buying binge.Pynchon would probably be the best literary author to explore deterrence in detail if he managed to write about it, but I feel that David Foster Wallace did a pretty good job with the whole Game Theory idea, and made it pretty palatable for a general by applying it to Hal's thought patterns/conversational decisions in Infinite Jest and especially that whole tennis ESCHATON game that the Enfield kids play.
>>
>>8428415
*for a general audience
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.