[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think about this book and Bukowski in general?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Hot-Water-Music.jpg (402KB, 878x1328px) Image search: [Google]
Hot-Water-Music.jpg
402KB, 878x1328px
What does /lit/ think about this book and Bukowski in general?

This is the first thing I read of his work and I really enjoyed the book. The bad part for me was reading it in some crappy Spain translation that butchers every moment of the book involving "strong" language (and if you know the book it has many).
Next book of him I will do my best to get some original version or at leas a latin american translation.

For me (aside for the shitty experience I had with the translation) it's a really solid book to read especially if you want to be a writter.
>>
I love bukowski! Hes extremely entertaining. I prefer his novels over his poetry though. I recommend blue bird and genius of the crowd as some of his most profound works in poetry. Take care anon.
>>
File: bukkk.jpg (14KB, 236x397px) Image search: [Google]
bukkk.jpg
14KB, 236x397px
widely panned as shit by psuedo intellectual wishy washy fuccbois old man buk is actually quite the interesting man. influenced by celine, he was a genius in a deformed shell, bitter, angry, resentful, synonyms compounded into irony. he speaks about things in such a way as to revolt the senses of the intellectual and triumph the common. the beer shits, the hemorrhoids, the gentle farts of his lovers. yet there is the bluebird and all that.

altogether a lovely man. widely imitated not replaced he was too authentic, he earned his street cred and he deserves his spot. wherever that is. probably some cheap dead rent house in L.A. that's already been torn down.

go look up that video where he kicks his woman. a beautiful smile but a hard heart. RIP.
>>
>>8428321
That was my first into to Bukowski and I hated it. The stories repeat themselves too often. I personally found his novels very amusing however. Save for Women, Hollywood and Pulp. I haven't read the latter two but I have read a grrar majority of Women and always run into a moment ehwre I realize everything I am reading feels meaningless and much less interesting than something like Factotum or Ham on Rye. Never really got into is poetry much. Doesn't seem like he really separated his poetry from his prose.
>>
If you're still there, anon, keep up with the Buk.

I started this summer with Ham on Rye, then Post Office, Women, Factotum, and then pretty much every one of his poems on the Internet. It's definitely worth it, and I wasn't sure if he'd be /my guy/ before I started on him.
>>
I read as many of his poems as I could find online when I was in high school. Most seemed kind of insipid, but a handful were really poignant. I also liked his 'dirty' style.

Then in college I gave Ham on Rye a read. Liked but didn't quite love it. Thought it was a solid character sketch of (someone who would grow up to be) a dirty old man.

I've been meaning to read some of his short stories. Is that collection the best one?
>>
>>8429241
Hey, OP here. I couldn't really recomend anything since I've only read the book I mentioned. But I think it's a pretty good book if you're not expecting much beyond a bunch of stories of writters being dirty old men and dealing with their lifes. Like >>8428871 said, stories often repeat the format or some parts of it, but I think this is cool, you can even see how lots of the stories are just him with different names, all the characters are pretty much the same, but the situations, dialogues and some reflections makes it worth the time.
>>
I've only read Ham on Rye a couple years back, any suggestions on what I should pick up next?
>>
>>8429573
Post Office or Factotum. They all follow his fictional self Henry/Hank Chinaski.
>>
File: jesse.jpg (227KB, 500x476px) Image search: [Google]
jesse.jpg
227KB, 500x476px
>>8429573
Post Office, Factotum and Ham on Rye are all excellent choices.

He put out a lot of work because he was starving, and some of it is well yknow, the work of a drunk man who is starving. He says his work isn't selling for farts but his letters are selling for $$ back east.

Just explore him, he was a beautiful man. He was hidden. His stories about his father are so fucking excellent.

Go ahead and listen to some Steven Jesse Bernstein while you think about the whole thing while you are at it.
>>
ya hes a pretty good read, but who would wanna be such an asshole
>>
>>8430710
i think a lot of youngsters only know buk because of isaac brock and a lot of people only know isaac because of float on.
>>
>>8430746
>patronizing someone for getting into an artist because of one song
wew lad
You do realize we ALL have to start somewhere. Even you of such """""patrician""""" tastes.
>>
>>8430593
>>8430696
I'll check those out then, thank you.
>>
>tfw you never broke a boy's arm while playing baseball
>>
>>8430917
>>8430746

buks not even close to patrician so there's nothing to whine about.

He was one of the first "serious" authors I read though, I enjoyed it at the time.
>>
>>8428871
I've only read the short story collection South of no North, but I too found the stories too repetetive
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.