[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maupassant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: maupassant1.jpg (101KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
maupassant1.jpg
101KB, 600x600px
Which of his stories is your favorite?
>>
The Medal, or something is pretty great, I also really liked the one about the fat frenchman who fights the Prussian officer on the train and of course Boule de Suif.
He seemed pretty easy so I may well read him in French when I can get a copy.
>>
>>8428176
The Regret. I think that was the great. He was a prodigee of Flaubert right? I've been meaning to read Balzac as well. Is it similar to his style? Maupassant is underrated IMO

>>8428678
You mean Two Friends? That's also nice.
>>
>>8428806
not him but that doesn't sound like deux amis to me
>>
>>8428176
Boule de Suif. Bel Ami is also severely underrated, although i'm not sure it falls under the constraints of a "story".
>>
Pierre et Jean.
>>8429270
Bel Ami is not underrated at all, it's his most well-known novel along with the one I named.

I have read four of his six novels and a few short stories. His novels are vastly superior to his shorter works.
>>
Le Horla
>>
Bel ami is so good, easily one of my favourite novels
>>
Can't remember the name, but it's a story about a kid whose father died.
>>
I've yet to get the 1300 page collection but out of what i read, a day in the country made me quite sick, wouldn't call it his best, but for such a simple short story does a nice job at conjuring up some uneasy feelings.

Country living is great, especially seeing the son be furious with his parents as they refused to sell him to the noble women who was unable to have child, and the transformation of the son who was sold and how much of a benefit he was to the family and a pride and joy.

Railway story is very nice and sweet.

Old milon is a great nationalistic story for france, it's easy to see how he was so popular with his military stories and bed 29 how the STD ravaged girl did more for the country then her lover, a bit romantic in scope but maupassant knew how to make the grotesque beautiful.

A coup d'etat is wonderful, loved seeing how political infighting could occur in the country with all the factions involved in such a large area.

A coward is amazing take on the traditional dueling theme that was so popular, most authors wouldn't dare to portray something so real and well cowardly, it's not a popular subject for an author to portray at the time.

Our spot and a day riding as well.

There's no end to how many good stories he has, even if the moral theme can be hit or miss as tolstoy says, he knocks it out of the park. Greatly underrated outside of france.
>>
>>8429270
>Bel Ami is also severely underrated
It's one of the most popular entry-level French novels.
>>
never heard of this guy until this thread. someone recommend an anthology.
>>
>>8431012
>Greatly underrated outside of france.
He's very popular in Russia though. We adore French authors here.
>>
>>8431724
Pleb.

There's a collection of short stories of him, Emile Zola, and others. I think it's Medan Nights on english
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.