[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

let me get this straight Literary Theory is when you choose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1462061301319.jpg (115KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
1462061301319.jpg
115KB, 1024x904px
let me get this straight

Literary Theory is when you choose a certain school of thought and then just talk about how book fit into it?

Is it like you pick
>feminism = all books are about how men are evil
>colonialism = all books are about how white people are evil
>marxism = all books are about how capitalism is evil

And then you just talk about how a book fits into that?

What is the literary theroy if you just want to talk about how the book has a cool story and is well written and stuff?
>>
Theory of my diary desu
>>
>Literary Theory is when you choose a certain school of thought and then just talk about how book fit into it?

No

>What is the literary theroy if you just want to talk about how the book has a cool story and is well written and stuff?

New Criticism
>>
literary theory just means critical theory now
>>
>>8426523

What is it then? This is what I leanred in high school. The teacher said that's how it works and our final project was like that. I picked freudianism and it's about how all books are about Frued's ideas.
>>
Can we skip the shallow intellectual posturing for today and just bash female writers like we always do?
>>
>>8426523
/thread

>>8426559
pleb
>>
no, you misunderstand how frameworks are meant to be used

but moving on, new criticism, reader response criticism, deconstruction, formalism, chicago school, semiotics etc can fall under "how the book has a cool story and is well written and stuff?"

>>8426536

for example you can use a marxist analysis of a text to analyse class relations within it, but the text could be very anti-marxist

you can also use it for a text that you think does exemplify marxist ideas and maybe even expand upon what marx wrote

so using literature to explore philosophical/psychological/whatever ideas, or using those ideas to explain situations within a text and maybe draw comparisons to actual society too

i wrote an essay a while ago taking a marxist lens towards the great gatsby, but through exploring it how it was better explained by veblen's ideas of conspicuous consumption (was it a good essay? not really, but it's an example)

an actual good example of lit theory(of a type that goes far beyond simple textual elements) done right and commenting on wider society too would be something like said's culture and imperialism
>>
>>8426516
literary theory exists just to give english professors a job

death of the author lets them babble on about nonsense and get paid for it
>>
>>8426559
Sure, if you are able to find a female writer of any significance that is even worth bashing.
>>
>>8426536
It's just using the ideas presented in a framework to discuss a book
Like you could discuss the way that the women in kafka's stories tend to be viewed either as sex objects or pure and innocent
>>
>misunderstands literary theory
>misunderstands feminism
>misunderstands colonialism
>misunderstands marxism
quality content. nice trole dude you got me good :)
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.