[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is to talk about literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: beckett.jpg (35KB, 358x444px) Image search: [Google]
beckett.jpg
35KB, 358x444px
Before anything let me say that english isn't my 1st language, so this will probably be filled with mistakes but I think this is the best place to talk about this subject so here we go

I want to know, in your opinion, what makes a decent discussion about books? I mean, what kind of points really matter when talking (or writting) about a work?

See, imho, talking about the story should be a small part of what makes a good digest, I like when the focus is more on personal views about certains aspects of the work, like character/world/atmosphere building and points of irony/contradiction that deserves attention, so is talking about the style/form of the writting. Quoting good/bad passages and talking about why you think they are good/bad is also a must but how important is to talk about how influential the author is, or how he was influenced? This seens like the kind of information that shouldn't really be the focus in most cases, because these, most of the time, will be just copy-paste of wikipedia or a teacher's class.

I hope I'm being clear, basically I want to know what makes you to like a review? Objective information or subjective analysis? What elements are a must so a review isn't considered inane/vapid?
>>
I like it when it's a pop up book
>>
I like it when the context of the book is included in discussion. I read Madame Bovary recently and apparently missed a lot of commentary on the French middle class of the time period. It's cool to find out what the author is making note of within the context of his or her own time period.
>>
come on /lit/, lets talk about book for once
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.