[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Keep going?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1363817374419.jpg (133KB, 460x612px) Image search: [Google]
1363817374419.jpg
133KB, 460x612px
Hi /lit/,
I have one of these hated "what should I do"-questions. Basically, I feel (literally) interested in philosophy. Expanding my horizon by knowing and evaluating other people's thoughts and ideas seems very desirable. But everytime I start reading philosophical texts my interest fades away and I grab a fiction-book and read it instead. Although different views and opinions interest me, it seems that the lack of impactful applicability and the lesser joy (in comparison to fiction) I derive from reading philosophical texts just makes me lose intrest.

So my question is: Should I stop forcing myself into philosophy or am I just not "in" to it enough to enjoy it.
I have been reading Nicomachean Ethics in a veeery slow pace (finished like 5 fiction books since I started it) and tried to get into The Myth of Sisyphos after enjoying The Stranger. But it never keeps me fascinated.

I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
>>
Maybe read philosophical fiction? Zarathustra etc.

Plato's dialogues are essentially that. Read it like a story.
>>
>>8422936
I had the same idea. But that would narrow down my philosophical options to a very small pool of books, or?
>>
File: TSA T&A-Profiling.jpg (117KB, 500x690px) Image search: [Google]
TSA T&A-Profiling.jpg
117KB, 500x690px
Read for pleasure. Yes do this >>8422936
And maybe even overview books. (Durant's, Russell's) You can develop your own philosophy without delving so deep into a dying tradition. No real need for source texts. Unless you want to stagger on
>>
>>8422974
damn.
d
a
m
n.
>>
>>8422928
Probably you don't like philosophy? If philosophy is the pursuit of wisdom, which seems to involve a desire to encounter the highest truth/s concerning the Whole of things, then interest in it will have to be derived through that.

When you say that you want to "expand[] [your] horizon by knowing and evaluating other people's thoughts and ideas" and that "different views and opinions interest [you]," it sounds more like you're saying you want to be familiar with a breadth of ideas, and that to some degree you'd like to evaluate them, but that it's not the truth of them (if there be any) that's the greatest part of your interest. If you're interested in being "open" to ideas just to see what positions there are out there, you might be better off with an encyclopedia of philosophy that discusses positions at a very broad level. The biggest part of philosophy is still nonetheless the process of inquiring and questioning, and if you have no love for that, you might just not like philosophy.

Which is totally fine. Do your own thing.
>>
T H I C C C C C
H
I
C
C
C
>>
>>8422928
you're reading aristotle, that's your problem. homie's dry as all hell. pick up some kierkegaard, some nietzsche, or any of the existentialists if you want some 'interesting' reads (not that I'm calling Niet. an existentialist, but I mean, he definitely dealt with some existential problems). If you want the *truly* interesting philosophy, heres a list, in order:

Descartes - Meditations
Spinoza - Ethics
Liebniz - the monadology
Locke - Essay Concerning Human Understanding (books 1 & 2)
Bishop Berkeley - 3 dialogues between hylas and philonous
Hume - Treatise

and you read these to be able to understand these:
Kant - Critique of Pure Reason
Fichte - Wissenchaftslehre (obv in english, but if you know german fuck translations)
Schelling - System of Transcendental Philosophy
Hegel - Phenonemology of Spirit, followed by his Science of logic. Dont bother fucking with his encyclopedia because it's too cryptic

Kant is where philosophy becomes mind boggling, but Berkeley's three dialogues forever hold a place in my heart. Hegel becomes an absolute fascination, if you've the patience to endure his writing style--which is actually quite good, once you're familiar with the terms he employs.
>>
>>8422928
>>8422974
Only in America.
God Bless
>>
wow I hate women

literally gorilla intelligence
>>
>>8423327
this
>>
>>8423282
love me some berkeley
>>
File: kate-beckinsale-tsa.jpg (262KB, 716x1188px) Image search: [Google]
kate-beckinsale-tsa.jpg
262KB, 716x1188px
>>8422974

That is my fetish.

It makes going through security a little uncomfortable in real life especially if some fetching young woman gets singled out for a "going over." Be still my beating heart.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.