[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ do you ever find yourself being deeply moved by poetry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: hgrHTIf.jpg (912KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
hgrHTIf.jpg
912KB, 3264x1840px
/lit/ do you ever find yourself being deeply moved by poetry?

I like some poetry, but at most I think "oh that's pretty prose" or "hm, that made me think". I never feel strongly emotionally touched by it, not in the way good music or books can.
Am I reading all the wrong things or is poetry just weaker when it comes to awakening strong emotions?
>>
I assume you don't have much eperience with poetry. If you didn't grow up reading a lot of poetry, you don't really have the sensitivity to appreciate it on a first glance. The biggest mistake people have when starting to read poetry is that they just kind of read it once, and then not think about it much. I advise you to be more patient with poetry, reread poems you like, and memorize and recite them to yourself, make it a part of you.
>>
maybe you just havent found the right one
>>
>>8422460
>I advise you to be more patient with poetry, reread poems you like, and memorize and recite them to yourself, make it a part of you.
I always do this, it's how I've grown to really love certain poetry. But even my biggest favorites (who can occupy my mind a lot) doesn't give me strong emotional reactions. They're good, they made me think, they're beautiful... but I don't cry or laugh or feel despair or become depressed or whatever.
>>
I find it very moving. Most poems are like you described, but there are some that are profoundly affecting.
>>
>>8422480

Well, some people just aren't "into" music or movies or books, and I guess you just aren't into poetry.
>>
the best feeling i get with poetry is realizing how everything works with each other after multiple readings down to the word choice and mechanics of it all. modernists really do it for me in this regard
>>
File: reallysadcat2.jpg (39KB, 510x427px) Image search: [Google]
reallysadcat2.jpg
39KB, 510x427px
>>8422508
I can tell you're calling me anti-intellectual between the lines.
>>
>>8422517

I assure you I meant no insult. I never get hugely emotional when listening to music, I dunno why, but I can still enjoy it and it doesn't bother me that much.

(Although you interpreting my post that way shows me there's probably something wrong with you.)
>>
File: 137769250048s.jpg (35KB, 283x281px) Image search: [Google]
137769250048s.jpg
35KB, 283x281px
>>8422534
>(Although you interpreting my post that way shows me there's probably something wrong with you.)
>>
>>8422430
When I read Dulce et Decorum est by Wilfred Owen, I seriously tear up.
>>
Leaves of Grass
>>
>>8422430
Poetry is far more moving than prose, I think everyone would agree. Just half an hour ago I had tears in my eyes reading Frost at Midnight by Coleridge. Honestly, poetry is my true love.

Try reading The Exile's Letter by Li Bai, trans. Ezra Pound:
http://www.bartleby.com/265/299.html

The ending is a gut punch. The first time I read this poem I closed the book, hugged it and kissed the cover.
>>
>>8422517
Not the guy you're talking to, but it's a matter of sensibility, not intelligence. I am of a terribly Romantic sensibility, so I love poetry. But not everyone is.
>>
>>8422460
retard
>>
>>8422430
>poetry
>oh that's pretty prose

yo like wtf man haha
>>
>>8422517
Man, you're really insure and that's okay, but I hope one day you'll realize that you don't need to fit some ideal you've conceived for yourself, we will still accept and love you regardless.
>>
File: reallysadcat.jpg (25KB, 251x241px) Image search: [Google]
reallysadcat.jpg
25KB, 251x241px
>>8422938
Then why do you all bully me when I post about how Ulysses was 2hard4me2understand?
>>
>>8422953
Because we're all insecure too, and one way we keep it at bay by propping ourselves up at others expense. The ego is a house of cards. It's not a personal attack against you, it's focused inward, satisfying a need to be validated as intelligent we all suffer from.
>>
File: 1394726960030.jpg (145KB, 1532x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1394726960030.jpg
145KB, 1532x1200px
>>8422977
you're a better person than any of us, Anon
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.