[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was never much of a reader in high school or college even.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: american-psycho-book-cover.jpg (279KB, 744x1138px) Image search: [Google]
american-psycho-book-cover.jpg
279KB, 744x1138px
I was never much of a reader in high school or college even. I detested the "mandatory reading list" and didn't bother to read most of the books until I was "free" to do so, if that makes sense. Being the casual I am I bought this book last week and I really enjoyed the main character's descend into madness. I also liked how there was no sad backstory to somehow excuse his behavior, which seems mandatory in television shows and movies.

Tl;dr I'd like to read more books about "bad" people losing themselves.
>>
I think you'd benefit from reading an analysis of the book. See what you caught onto and what you didn't. Then read your next book with a relaxed but keener eye.
>>
>>8419665

Are you saying I should've been more fascinated by how the writer tried to show how obsessed people were with buying stuff? Please elaborate. You can yell at me. I want to learn.
>>
>>8419696
No not necessarily. I can't really know what you extracted from the book but if you're just getting into reading it's good advice. Just mull over any book you read a little you know. See other opinions.
>>
>>8419634
This book is 75% 80s fashion designers and food 20% decent into madness and 5% sewer rats in vaginas.
>>
>>8419865
>implying fashion has nothing to do with the descent into madness
>>
>>8419634
All of Ellis' work is brilliant, Glamorama is his best.
>>
>>8419634
>Descent into madness
But he was already insane from the start.
>>
>>8419634

You'd like Notes from the Underground; American Psycho is redolent of Dostoevsky.

Also, sad backgrounds don't excuse, only explain. Even in this book Patrick Bateman is meant to be pitiable; the implication is that he's the product of his culture, taken to the extreme. To quote a line from the musical --

Am I just an effect of the modern age
Am I just the end point of a grand parade?

(Also strongly recommend The Killer Inside Me; first-person narrative of a sheriff who succumbs to his baser instincts. Kubrick loved it, interestingly.)
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.